Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » The Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill
Nay
Neophyte
Member # 74043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to get on the pill for a while now to be both safe and have a normal monthly flow. Ever since I started getting my period i've never had it monthly. I get it every 2-3 months which often stresses me out from making me worried I may be pregnant. I'd like to know a few things though when going to any doctor to get a prescription for the pill do they just ask questions or exam you as well or what? Also I have no insurance or any money. Is there places that give it for free/cheap prices?
Posts: 26 | From: NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I'm not an expert on prescription protocols, but for getting something like the pill, doctors could ask you questions (history of certain illnesses, if you take any other medications, if you have a history of blood clots), and do an exam as well. For me, they would take my blood pressure too. I'm not sure what else they would do - it really depends on your medical history. Planned Parenthood and some clinics do offer cheaper birth control prices. Planned Parenthood is an excellent resource for everything sexuality-related, so it'd be a great place for contraception, STI testing, and general information about health. They're very nice and have a telephone number you can call.

You could always tell the doctor about your periods just so they know about that when you a prescribed a new medication. I'm really not an expert at these things, but there are many knowledgeable staff and volunteers that can give you more detailed advice! Take care! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copper's just about covered it. Sometimes, doctors will want to do a pregnancy test before prescribing birth control.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.