Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Which Condom to Buy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Condom to Buy?
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to buy condoms soon as a back-up along with the pill, as the condoms I have now (Trojan Magnum Large: Naked Sensations) are expired. I never had to shop around for condoms before, as my partner would have them or my university's health centre gave them out for free and I trusted that selection (the above brand).

But, there are so many different brands and types of condoms out there; and I want to make the right purchase. After some research, I want a latex brand and would also like to stick with the Trojan brand above. I would like some user experiences and input on what brands are reliable; and I've read that there are "one size fits all" condoms - is that true?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no one condom is going to feel great for every wearer.

I mean, technically, pretty much all condoms are one-size-fits-all, but kind of in the same way that tights or other clothing sized that way fit: they'll fit loads of people comfortable, but plenty of other people not so comfortably. [Smile]

Really, what I've always liked to do myself when buying condoms when I didn't have one partner, or didn't have a partner with preferences, is to buy sample packs, where you get a variety of brands and styles, or styles from one brand, should you like one given brand. You can get boxes of condoms like that at plenty of pharmacies, and online condom stores tend to sell more expanded variety packs.

Just FYI, you can always look up Consumer Reports for any given year for many things, including condoms. On the whole, condoms effectiveness isn't that different from brand to brand: it's really more about proper storage and user-use than brands.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather!

Thank you so much for answering my questions! It's good to think of condoms as tights - that comparison really helped me better understand how they work or feel. [Smile]

I ended up buying a Trojan brand similar to the one I had before; but I was just overwhelmed by the array of different brands and styles. It's so intimidating! I followed your advice and looked for sample packs; but the only one I saw there did not really meet my needs (I wanted large ones and not ultra-thin, and didn't want hot or cold or flavoured ones). I actually saw some that said they "only protected against pregnancy and not against HIV or STI's"... How is that even possible? I put that pack down fast!

Thank you so much for your help! You are such an empathetic and helpful person!

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That pack was probably made of animal product, not latex or polyurethane. Those are the kind that don't offer STI protection.

Also, not sure if not wanting ultra-thin is a sensation preference, but just in case you don't know, thinner condoms aren't less effective than thicker ones. In fact, because they reduce friction rather than increase it -- as a thicker material will -- they potentially may be less likely to break or split.

(And cheers for such lovely compliments!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Hi!

My partner and I used these condoms for the first time, but he had trouble penetrating because he said the material was slipping. I was just wondering: how durable are condoms, anyway? The box said they were "tested three times" for stability or endurance or holes; but he was trying pretty hard. He told me it didn't break and I'm not too worried since I haven't missed a pill... It's just that it was our first time with condoms and I'd like to know from people who have used them how sturdy they are. He hates condoms; but we both want to use them for vaginal sex. I know he didn't ejaculate until later; so again, this is more of a "how strong are they?" and not a risk assessment question. I'm afraid to even handle the package for fear that they would get holes.

Is there any way to make condoms "less slippery?" I kind of thought they'd do the opposite; especially since I'm on the pill and I have thicker discharge on average.

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms are fairly strong, and it takes a sharp fingernail or something like a pin to put a hole in them. Normal handling of the package isn't going to do any damage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "less slippery" - is it the lube on the outside of the condom causing problems, or is it that the condom is slipping around on him too much?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much! That is a relief to hear! I also store them in a dark and dry place in a bag, so they're out of direct light.

I'm honestly not sure - I think the material on the condom itself made penetration difficult. I think it was the lube on the outside of the condom; not that it didn't fit him properly.

--------------------

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did it feel too slippery, or too dry?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superstars
Neophyte
Member # 96428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superstars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are loads of condoms out there and its down to prefrence for me I like the ultra thin types
Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginseng05
Neophyte
Member # 95785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ginseng05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I picked up free condoms recently and when my boyfriend put one of them on he said that it was too small. He got it to fit over but I guess it was really tight, so we have to go condom shopping together now so that we can find a kind that fits and that we both like.
Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.