Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » First Vibrator

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Vibrator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about getting my first vibrator, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on one to get. (If that's against the guidelines, sorry, just ignore that question.)

Secondly, where can I get one and be pretty inconspicuous about it? I don't know of any sex toy shops where I live (I'm over 18, so I technically could buy from one) and I'm worried if I order one, it'll show up on my bill, and my mom has access to my account, so, tips? I know I could simply get a "body massager" or something, but I'd rather have an actual vibrator if possible. thanks.

[ 11-03-2012, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Roxie102 ]

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roxie,
Just so you know, there are actually a whole bunch of sites that try to side-step potential awkwardness for their customers ahead of time- it's usually referred to as "discreet packaging" (so the contents isn't at all obvious on the outside of the box either), and you can find out what name shows up on your bill usually through a site's FAQ.

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, some of the condom companies are making vibes now, that I believe they're selling in drugstores, so that could be an option for you if you wanted to buy in person.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say Amazon would be a good bet. Not only do they pretty much send all their stuff in the same boxes, but they're also fairly cheap. Plus, it's not incriminating at all since they sell nearly everything!
Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add in that given how generally anti-sex Amazon is as a company, despite profiting off of sex and sexuality deeply, there's something kind of awesome about using them for sexual products, too. [Razz]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i bought one for someone from ann summers and it came packaged discreetely with no sign as to where it was from which saved me awkward questions from my mum. see if ann summers delivers where you are

[ 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: selina ]

Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I had no idea about Amazon being anti-sex. That's a shame, I've always been a pretty big fan of them.
Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, alas, they've got some very messed up policies around sex and sexuality -- namely, if they can make a profit off of it, they'll sell it, but if they can't, they tend to block artists and authors who work in that area a lot. I've heard less about them doing that lately, though, so maybe it'll get better.

A couple years ago, they also delisted and deranked a huge bunch of sexuality and LBGTQ books (including mine), which was a giant cluster-you-know-what.

That said, their CEO has donated to the same-sex marriage referendum here in WA, so it's not a total bad. If they were, we wouldn't outlink to them.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roxie, what I tend to hear about toys, particularly anything for internal use, is that people suggest choosing ones made from silicone rather than jelly. The usual thing I hear is that silicone ones are likely to be better quality, and they're also easier to clean. Plus, it's not always clear exactly what's in jelly toys. At least in Europe, some of them contain phthalates, a kind of chemical which is banned from children's toys and even dogs' chew toys; the materials sex toys are made from, as far as I know and at least in Europe, aren't regulated at all.

You could browse through on the internet selections of what's available and see what appeals to you. The majority of variations available are about people's different personal preferences.

[ 11-03-2012, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! [Smile] It's good to know I can purchase online and Redskies, thanks for the tip on the silicone toys.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

I ordered a vibrator today! I'm now excitedly waiting for it to come in the mail so I can try it out. [Smile]

I did end up getting a silicone one, and I read that they can pick up lint, dust, and debris pretty easily. What can I store it in to prevent this from happening?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, we always want to clean sex toys before and after use no matter what.

So, you can store it in something like a cotton bag, clean sock or t-shirt, but before using it each time, and after, you should clean it off no matter how you store it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.