Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » On the implant (nexplanon) and still scared...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On the implant (nexplanon) and still scared...
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
So last year out of nowhere I began freaking out about pregnancy obsessively despite being on the pill for around 2 years, I'd put off having the implant as the procedure seemed painful and hated the thought of something foreign in my arm so continued with the pill until 3 weeks ago when I got the implant fitted at my local sexual health clinic as I kept on missing pills (never had sex if I did), found out I was lactose intolerant a while ago so everytime I vomitted or had "the runs" I was scared it would affect my pill so me and my boyfriend just never had sex and we had such a good sex life before all this happened
But anyway yes got the implant and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.
Was happy and relaxed for about 2 weeks then my implant felt bumpy and I FREAKED. I went to the clinic the next day and the nurse checked it (she pushed down and felt it all) and said it was fine, it hadn't snapped or anything and was common for it to happen and it would still be effective.
But for some reason I've been obsessively checking my implant to check its still there and hasn't snapped, I keep thinking its just going to snap and I'll end up pregnant.
And its not just that, my friend said her sister in law got pregnant off the implant and I just felt like crying it got me so scared, I thought the implant was going to help my pregnancy scares but nope. I felt fine until this week I just want to stop being scared and RELAX. I can't tell if I'm overly paranoid or overly safe.
Can anyone help? To be honest just wanted to let it all out I'd feel so stupid saying all this to someone face to face [Frown]

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so here's the big thing to know:

Someone is ALWAYS going to know someone -- or know someone who knew someone who knew someone -- who became pregnant while using or claiming to use a given method.

That's because NO single method is 100% effective. It's also -- and even more so -- because HOW people use methods matter. To boot, a lot of people will say they were using a method they really were not.

That all said: the implant is one of the most effective methods there is, and all you need to do to keep it that way is to replace it when -- after years -- it's time to do that.

That said, backing up any or every method with condoms is always a great idea. It's a great idea because no other method can help prevent infections, but also because it can give you extra peace of mind, even with a method that is highly unlikely to fail.

So, how about adding condoms as a backup? And if you still feel freaked, even with that, we can also talk about if having the kind of sex that presents a risk of pregnancy -- even one so very, very, very small -- is what you really think is right for you right now. Sometimes freakouts about pregnancy aren't entirely about pregnancy, but can be about other related issues, like relationships not being right, underlying anxiety, feeling like someone doesn't really want to be having the kind of sex they are, etc.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply.
I agree,when I was on the pill another friend said her sister got pregnant and it just made me feel so upset.
I used to suffer from severe anxiety its calmed down a lot but for some reason whenever I hear anything about pregnancy or whatever I just freak out or anything medical or health related for that matter so it isn't just pregnancy, my boyfriend knows about this and is understanding just the problem we have with condoms is we both find it very uncomfortable which is why I went on the implant as I've heard its the most effective BC out there, I just feel I need to trust bc a bit more and I have a feeling the side effects of the implant won't be helping my anxiety either. [Frown]

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you both know how to use condoms correctly? A lot of people don't. For instance, many people don't realize that for condoms to feel great, extra lube -- not just the smidge that comes on some condoms -- tends to be a must-have.

The implant is progestin-only, so really shouldn't be amping your anxiety chemically (especially if the pill didn't have that side effect).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.