Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Bleeding the day after sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bleeding the day after sex
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missjuliek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back story: I am on birth control and have been since November and my partner and I are both clean and always use a condom. My last period started on August 20th and lasted three days with a normal flow. The weekends following that including this weekend, we had sex.

Here's my problem. I am starting my last week of pills and next Monday I am due to start my period. After we had sex for the third and last time yesterday (usually it's never more than once), I noticed a few drops of blood on the sheets. I went to the bathroom to pee and saw nothing. Later that night I saw a little after I wiped, so I put a pantyliner on and in the morning it had dark brown blood in it, and nothing until tonight when I peed and bled as if it was my period! I have no cramps or anything, have NOT missed a pill, and we had ZERO condom mishaps. I know it is not implantation bleeding because I am protected and it's a little TOO soon for that anyway. My partner did comment after sex that I seemed very dry and when he removed the condom that it was barely wet. So, I am wondering if it's possible that maybe since it was a little rougher that he could have cut me or maybe kick started my period? (Not even sure if the last option is possible). I am not having ANY pain and it isn't feeling like a period at all. It's not even enough to wear a tampon but it's annoying! Any advice?

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you two using lubricant with the condom 9aditional lube, not just the teeny bit already on there)? How about your arousal: were you VERY excited before and during all those times you were having intercourse?

If the answer to either of those was no, then you probably are bleeding due to some vaginal abrasion, which would not be surprising even IF the answer to both those questions were yes with a lot of sex-with-entry at a time. But with all that intercourse (if that's the kind of sex you're talking about, which it sounds like it is) AND not doing one or both of those things, I'd say it would have been unusual NOT to get an abrasion/injury.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missjuliek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the quick reply! We were not using a condom with extra lube, we use the same condom all the time. I would say I was excited all of those times but the last time was just extra rough and lasted longer. I was aroused and wanted it to happen but he did notice I was a little dryer than normal. He didn't even finish because it felt off to him after a bit.
I was just wondering if this would in any way delay my period. I never had this happen, so pardon my silly questions. All I know for certain is I am not having a surprise in 9 months LOL [Smile]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, yep: sounds clearly like you needed some lube something serious. Which, honestly many people do with intercourse once, let alone several times in one sitting.

An abrasion to your vaginal canal isn't something your uterus is even going to know, if you get me: that won't impact your uterus, let alone the whole month of hormonal changes that have already happened which are why you get your period.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay well, since you weren't using lube that could definitely have something to do with this. Especially since you say intercourse went on for a bit longer and was a bit more rough than usual. As heather said, you likely have a cut or abrasion in your vaginal wall from the friction. So it'd be a good idea to hold off on anymore intercourse for now to give your body the chance to heal.

Also, from now on, we really recommend using lubricant. Lube is necessary when you're using condoms because it greatly reduces the risk of them tearing; so proper use of condoms includes lube. It also means that you're less likely to get abrasions in your vagina [Smile]

And an abrasion wouldn't have any affect on your period, so that's not anything you need to worry about here.

[ 09-09-2012, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Thanks ladies, I feel so much better! I will talk to the boyfriend about using lube from now on. Now to just get this pesky cut to heal. Should I let it heal on it's own, or do you suggest any creams or anything that could heal it better?
Heather
Member # 3

Only thing with abrasions -- unless they're very serious or painful, without even touching them -- is just to take some time away to leave your vag alone (and not accept visitors for a little while [Smile] ).

If you, though, start to feel more pain, the bleeding gets heavier or doesn't slow down, or you are having pain, then I'd suggest you check in with a healthcare provider, mostly to rule out an infection having developed due to the abrasion, both because wounds can get infected, as you know, but also because having sex that causes abrasions makes it more likely to pick up an infection, including things like basic BV, or HPV or Herpes, as examples, not STIs your boyfriend has recently tested negative for.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Thank you! The bleeding has been very light (like towards the end of the period) and I have no pain whatsoever. Won't see my boyfriend for a week anyway so no worries on visitors! Thank you for all of your awesome advice!
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

So this morning there was only maybe three drops of blood on my panty liner and it was dried an brown. But I wiped after I peed and there was that same amount on the paper and fresh. And just a little in the toilet. I don't feel ANY pain. I know I'm probably being a pain, but the sex was on late Saturday night, so should this last long? Again sorry for being too questioning.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the abrasion was particularly bad, the bleeding may last a couple of days, yes. But if it lasts longer than a few days you might want to just check in with a doctor to make sure it hasn't got worse or infected or anything.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Yeah it's so much lighter than yesterday and I've been completely pain free which sounds like a good sign. Thanks again!
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

I have another really dumb question ladies, and please feel free to tell me to stop at any time, but I now am crampy and feel like it is my period. Is it ever normal to start a week early while on consistent pill use and having protected sex? If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.