Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » How to Communicate what I really want

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Communicate what I really want
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Thanks again to the Scarleteen team and especially to Heather for running this exceptional site [Smile]

Ok, so I have a "friend with benefit", he is very attractive (way out of my league!). We met about 4 months ago and have caught up about 5 times.

So, from time to time when we're together he'll ask questions along the lines of "what turns you on?", "what do you like most?" and "does this feel good?"
It's really nice of him to ask me such questions and show some kind of consideration as to what I like. The problem is I either can't give an answer or give an honest answer. It's so hard to say what I like/want! When he first asked me "what turns me on?" I almost started crying and after umming for about 2 minutes I managed to mumble a response.

I think part of the reason might lie in the fact that I'm pretty 'vanilla' when it comes to sex and sexual activites, and the things I enjoy most are kissing and touching. I assume he might find these things boring as we seem to just jump straight into manual and oral sex and then vaginal sex.

I was thinking maybe I would send him a text, giving a brief outline of the things I like. Does that sound like a good idea? or should I try harder to be more verbal with him in person?

Thanks again for your assistance, and no rush on getting back to me.

[Smile]

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So your problems in communication, do they lie with you not knowing the answers, or with having a hard time telling him the answers?

If it's the latter, what do you think you feel when he asks you those questions. Embarrassment? Shame? What is holding you back from talking?

One thing that comes to mind is that it sounds like when this sort of negotiation happens, it is coming from him and happening in the heat of the moment. So one suggestion that I have is that you change the dynamics of that a little and have a more two-sided conversations about this, away from the context of the bedroom. Being dressed and not being in the middle of sex may make it easier for you to communicate yourself, and if you are BOTH talking and BOTH sharing your wants and needs, it's more of an equal exchange and you may feel less like you are being put on the spot.

Also, I'd not assume that he will judge you for the the things you like. He is asking, after all, which implies that he WANTS to hear what you are interested in.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for your (fast) response September [Smile]

1. I think part of it may be I don't necessarily know (all) the answers. For example, I wouldn't know what would definately make me orgasm, I could only say what feels good and is likely to get me to climax.

2.What if I say I like X, he does X and it doesn't feel good? I guess I worry that I may say to do something and it won't have the desired effect. As in, in my head and based on previous experiences I know what feels good, but I guess not everything with one person would feel good with another.

3. In regards to how I feel when he asks such questions, I would say embarrassment is an emotion I feel and perhaps as well I'm nervous to say what I really want. What if he doesn't like it or thinks I'm strange/immature/weird or something along those lines.
It's also hard to imagine that someone WANTS to give me pleasure.

4. That's a good suggestion you make about having a conversation away from the 'heat of the moment', where we can both talk and ask.

Thanks again.

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that having a conversation with him in a nonsexual setting will help alleviate a lot of these worries. These worries, by the way, are totally things you can share with him. Know, too, that sex is sometimes awkward and turns out in a way that we don't expect, so it's natural not to be able to always have something that usually feels good feel good all the time. It doesn't mean that anyone has done anything wrong, or disappointed anyone, it's just how bodies are. Do you feel comfortable telling him that you don't always know all the answers, and that you worry about disappointing him or turning him off?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Thanks for your input Robin [Smile]

You're right, in that things don't always turn out as one expects, and that in itself is totally normal.

I think it will be a good idea for me to say something along the lines of I don't always know the answers and I worry about what I do/don't say turning him off. He seems to be a pretty good guy so I think he'll be okay with that.

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He sounds like a really good friend with benefits, and it seems you get on very well in that context. All the best! [Smile]

[ 08-25-2012, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.