Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Question About "The Buddy System" Article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question About "The Buddy System" Article
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, I'd like to say that "The Buddy System" article on this site has been a lifesaver for me. I know that these stats are yearly compilations and that I shouldn't put all my faith in them; but I have to tell the staff and volunteers here that this article has given me much support and has also shown me the benefits of backing up my birth control with other methods.

I do have a question about the Depo-Provera shot and the pill. The pill used alone with typical use is about 92 percent effective; whereas the shot, used alone with typical use, is 97 percent effective. I'm just a bit confused as to why the typical use ratings differ so much; especially since these methods are both hormonal and I thought they were similar. Is the shot's effectiveness higher because, if you get the shot on time, there is less of a chance of not using it improperly for an entire cycle? I know that that makes sense objectively; but I was just startled by those statistics in relation to one another.

I'm sorry for the random question!

[ 08-05-2012, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't actually knoew, but you're reasoning sounds about right to me. Imagine for example that you had to pay your electrical bill every day instead of every month, you'd be much more likely to miss a few payments here or there and make them up later or not at all, than you would if it were on a montly basis. The same concept is true for the pill. There are a lot more places where someone can make an error intaking the pill, where as they are much less likely to miss getting the depo provera shot as it is more infrequent. Make sense?

PS, I'm just using logic to reason this out, if I'm wrong about the reasoning please do correct me

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you've both got it. There's much less room for error with the typical use of the shot.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.