Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Which are pregnancy risks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which are pregnancy risks?
Hatsworth
Activist
Member # 49215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hatsworth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a variety of situations which I'm wondering about, but don't know the proper area to post in so I figured this one would be fine. So I'm just going to list them:

Showering together (naked/touching with water around)
Swimming naked together (or being aroused in the water)
Humping with clothes on (possibly getting wet through underwear and pants?)
Being naked together normally and my penis touching her anywhere
Touching my penis then fingering her (probably will)

Yeah, anyone know if there is any chance of getting her pregnant in these situations? Any way to decrease chances (condoms?)? Any other normal situations I should watch out for?

Posts: 47 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have you first started with our articles on this topic, Hatsworth? I ask particularly because we cover these scenarios in them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatsworth
Activist
Member # 49215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hatsworth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I was looking around but I guess I didn't come across any articles? Could you care to show me? [Smile] and in the future, where would general questions about sex go?
Posts: 47 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is always to start with our search function, which is on the top right of every single page of the website (excepting the boards).

Here are two links to start with:
• Pregnancy Scared?
• Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

And general questions about sex can go wherever you'd like.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatsworth
Activist
Member # 49215

Ok thanks, so just to clarify, dry sex is tiny risk even if wet and near the vulva, but always a small chance right?? And water is a sufficient barrier (shower/pool)? Also it states that manual sex can't get someone pregnant? Why not if I touch a penis with semen and then into the vagina?
Heather
Member # 3

Once there are fluids, we can know we aren't talking about dry sex, period, since dry sex is about there being no contact with fluids.

Water doesn't need to be a barrier at all, because that's not how pregnancy happens.

Manual sex -- in and of itself, which doesn't involve fluid sharing -- doesn't pose pregnancy risks. Again, if and when people are sharing fluids, then we're talking about something else, but indirect possible transfer of residual fluids causing a pregnancy? Not at all likely. Because when it comes to pregnancy, fluids matter a whole lot. make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Hatsworth
Activist
Member # 49215

But what if with humping, the penis gets so wet that it wets the the pants? or with water, doesn't the sperm go with the water (to the vagina)? or even the 'indirect possible transfer of residual fluids'? Why can't those instances of possible fluid exchange cause pregnancy?
Sorry if I'm being stubborn/not understanding it [Frown]

Heather
Member # 3

It's okay.

Long story short, your pants aren't someone's vulva. And sperm cells can't get to someone's vulva through pants, neither can all the seminal fluid sperm need to create a pregnancy.

This is the same deal with water. Sperm cells, by themselves, can't create a pregnancy. They also need the fluid they're part of to be viable.

A lot of people grew up with this one sperm/one egg idea about reproduction, which is, unfortunately, not at all real or true. It's a fine way to simplify things for a very small child, that's all. Pregnancy is much, much more complicated than that, involving far more than those two tiny cells.

Does that help?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Hatsworth
Activist
Member # 49215

Yeah that helps a lot thanks [Smile] Would that mean it's not possible to get pregnant with intercourse in the shower because of all the hot and wetness?
Heather
Member # 3

No. Heat and "wetness" have nothing to do with any of this. Plus, if someone's penis is in someone's vagina, it doesn't matter where they are.

If you are in a tub or shower and not having any direct genital contact, pregnancy can't happen.

If you are anywhere at all and ARE having direct genital contact -- which intercourse most certainly is! -- it can.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.