Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Period's MIA, but no pregnancy risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period's MIA, but no pregnancy risk?
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 8 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So last month I got my period several days before it was actually due, which is normal for me. This month, the only kinds of sex I participated in were manual (his hands were clean, no sperm around anywhere) oral ( once again, sperm didn't go near my gentials) and protected anal (he wore a condom and didn't ejactulate inside of me.) I haven't gotten my period this month and last month I got it on the 6th. Like I said, I'm usually several days early. So I'm not freaking out over a pregnancy risk, I'm not stressing or anything else I can think of to make it late. What's going on?
Posts: 42 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen this list of possible reasons for a late period?
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the only thing could just be being irregular, but I haven't skipped a period since I was 12. I'm not on birth control and as for the weight loss and excercising, I wish! And I'm almost positive I ovulated last month, though I can't really tell you what day.
Posts: 42 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every once in a while, periods are just going to be late for no obvious reason. Not knowing what's going on can suck, but a late or missed period from time to time isn't a big deal.

If your next period is wonky, too, it's a good idea to discus it with your gynecologist. But for now, I'd not sweat it.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hate wondering where it is, because it makes me worry and gets me paranoid wondering if I'm pregnant when I know the chances of that happening are slim to none.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

If you want to rule out pregnancy for sure, a pregnancy test will take care of that. So if you want to put your mind at ease, you can always just take a test.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Do you think there's a possibility that I could be?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're concerned that you could be pregnant, can you walk yourself through these risk assessment steps, please?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007116.html

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

I really don't think I could be. It's just being paranoid because of my late period I guess
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

I'm starting to think I may have some anxiety issues. My mom has anxiety problems and takes medicine for it. Every time my boyfriend and I participate in some form of sex we're always safe. (making sure hands are washed, wearing condoms, etc.) But it seems like I'm always scared there's a chance I might end up pregnant and when my period turns up to be late that anxiety goes through the roof.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Do you experience anxiety in other areas of your life, as well?

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Somewhat, but mostly in this area. This is my first sexual relationship and new experiences (regardless of how safe they may be) make the anxiety flare up.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you find that new experiences, whether they're sexual in nature or not, make you anxious?

Sometimes anxiety over pregnancy risks that persist even when we know they're not really founded in fact can be an indication that something else doesn't feel quite right. Sometimes these fears mask anxious feelings about the sexual activity itself, or about the relationship, or about something else entirely.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

I see what you're saying. Now that you mention it, new experiences can put me on the apprehensive side. I love my boyfriend, we've been together for a while now and things that I used to freak out over ( I can remember posting a question asking if fingering would get me pregnant) I can now relax amd enjoy knowing I'm not going to get pregnant. However, anal sex is relatively new for me, and though he wore a condom and pulled out way before he came, I guess the newness of it has me freaked out when I shouldn't be. In fact, I felt completely fine doing it until I discovered my period was late. I read that using a condom and pulling out has a 99.92% effectiveness during vaginal intercourse, so is that even safer during anal?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, there is usually a lower pregnancy risk with anal intercourse, so if you used a condom and none of his ejaculate came into contact with your genital area, there's really nothing to be concerned about. Using condoms for anal sex is a really good practice, pregnancy risks aside. The anal tissues are delicate, and using a condom, with plenty of lube, can make penetration gentler and safer. Plus, infections are just more possible with anal intercourse and using a condom keeps risk of STI transmission, plus just transmission of everyday germs and bacteria, risk to a minimum.

You know, it's completely okay to take a break from anal intercourse for a while to allow yourself to get used to the idea. Do you think that might help you?

--------------------
Robin

lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

The type of condoms we use say they're lubricated, but should we buy lube for next time, in case we do it again? I think I'll definitely be slowing it down some and I think he'll understand. He's never tried to push me and I don't think he'd start now. I just don't want to be doing something that scares me in the long run. Is there any thing I can do to become more comfortable in my sex life and not so neurotic?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lizzylala17. The condoms that are pre-lubricated only have a very small amount of lubricant on them. For them to work properly and for things to be comfortable, you should always use extra lube with them for vaginal or anal intercourse [Smile]
Posts: 1182 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Updating you guys. Today my period is due and it is no where to be seen. I was in a good place earlier and now every time I go to the bathroom and I see no blood I just want to cry. My anxiety is controlling my life right now. I can't get a pregnancy test because I don't have my license and my mom is VERY against my being sexually active. I'm terrified to tell her my period is late because she'll freak and assume I'm pregnant. My boyfriend is out of town and won't be back until next week, and ever since our last pregnancy scare (which actually was a scare, I guess you can say) he gets extremely worried too when I tell him my period is late or bring it up, so I haven't since I want him to enjoy his vacation. But I'm miserable. I don't know what to do.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Do you keep track of when your periods start? I'm wondering if they start after the same number of days each month, or if the number of days varies.

--------------------
Robin

lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

I try, but they vary and almost always start earlier than expected. In May, I started on the 12, in June, I started on the 6th. I'm feeling some of my PMS symptoms (sore breasts,lower back pain, emotional) and I saw a teensy tiny speck of blood when I used the restroom.
By the way, I think I may have ovulated later than I usually do last month.. Is that what's throwing this month's period off? And why would that have changed? Thank you for all of your help.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

All sorts of things can throw the menstrual cycle off: including stress, illness (even minor illness like a cold), or just the body deciding to do something different for a change.

Your body doesn't know that it's the 6th, so it doesn't know that it's supposed to start shedding it's uterine lining on that day. [Smile] If your body is showing the usual signs that it's premenstrual, I'd say chances are really good that your period is on its way.

--------------------
Robin

lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

I think you're right, my anxiety probably just put nasty little voices in my head telling me all sorts of things. Thanks for your patience [Smile]
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Hey guys, I'm sorry to bother you, but weird stuff is going on. Last night I was feeling all of my PMS symptoms, so I put in a tampon. I took it out after a little bit, just to see if I was bleeding, and sure enough, there was red and brownish blood. I went to bed thinking, yay, I'll probably get my period tomorrow then! But when i got up, no blood on my underwear, no blood when I wiped. I inserted another tampon and all I got on it was brownish discharge, maybe it was old blood, I'm not sure. What is going on?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.