Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pregnant with a period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnant with a period
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovepink888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read an article saying that you can have your period and be pregnant. I also read that it is impossible so I have no idea whats true and whats not? If there is bleeding during a period how do you know the difference between a period and not a period? Its all very confusing. Could someone clarify? Thank You
Posts: 86 | From: Fiji | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovepink888
Activist
Member # 95931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovepink888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also read that you can get pregnant without having sex? How true is that?
Posts: 86 | From: Fiji | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not possible to be pregnant and have a period. That is because of the way a period works: during the menstrual cycle, the body prepares for a potential pregnancy by building up uterine lining and sending an egg on its way. When no pregnancy occurs, the egg and all of that extra lining are flushed out. And that is what your period is. So when you have a period, you know you cannot be pregnant.

It is possible to have irregular bleeding during a pregnancy, but it is not likely that this bleeding will look exactly like your period.

It is really very unlikely to be pregnant and just not notice. When there are people who go through an entire pregnancy without noticing, they are usually very out of touch with their bodies for various reasons. Too, if we are talking about stories you read on the internet, you'll want to take those with a bucket of salt, anyway - there's no way to verify those stories.

And here's an article that should answer your second question:
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sophia
Neophyte
Member # 95944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anna Sophia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lovepink888, what exactly did the article say? As September says, you can't be pregnant and have a period. However, having sex while on your period can result in pregnancy - might this have been what the article meant?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.