Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Why Masturbation Rocks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Masturbation Rocks
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been Masturbation May, and before the month is out, I'd like to do a blog post on Scarleteen about it.

I was just going to write out a list of all the reasons we as an org think masturbation is awesome, but I thought it'd be even better if we could have some quotes from some of you in our community about it, too.

So, if you masturbate, what are the things that you think make/have made masturbation such a great thing in your sexual life?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome topic! I am sitting here with my partner, so I read the question to him and we talked about our experiences.

For me, masturbation offered a safe space, where I did not have to live up to anyone's expectations or give in to any pressures. I was sexually abused at a young age, and also started questioning my sexuality early in my teen years, so I often felt very vulnerable in sexual situations with other people. Masturbation gave me the opportunity to explore my own body and pleasure at my own pace.

Here's what my partner has to say:
"For me the great thing about masturbation is that it allows me to give myself one of the best feelings in the world without needing anybody's permission or contribution. And it's free [Smile] "

[ 05-26-2012, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At a young age, I picked up the idea that masturbation was something shameful, and that idea has been the bane of my existence, a shadow over my life that has caused or worsened serious mental health issues, and made it harder to have a healthy relationship with my partner: If I had not been taught there was something wrong with it, my life would have been much happier thus far, my relationship with my boyfriend would have been better, I would have probably done a lot more of the things I wanted to do with my life by now, because I wouldn't have spent my teenage years believing that there was something evil deep within me that I was too much of a coward/weak/selfish to cut off at the root.

I know you might not want to print this because it's not a very cheerful comment, but I think that's the best explanation I can come up with of just how harmful it is to shame/punish/prevent/prohibit masturbation, which is something that everyone has the right to do because everyone owns their own body, masturbation is something human and animal, something that soothes the body and mind without dulling them, a reminder of the goodness within us, like a carpenter's delicately crafted chair or a stained glass window, like a surgeon's precision or a meal rich in flavour and texture, it is one of the many amazing, wonderful things we can do with our hands.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.