Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Chlamydia? How long would it take for symptoms to show up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chlamydia? How long would it take for symptoms to show up?
seriouslythough
Neophyte
Member # 95837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seriouslythough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, this is my first post, so excuse me if I do anything outside this board's etiquette rules. [Smile]

So I had a one night stand 8 months ago and stupidly did so without using a condom. It was a friend who I trusted was clean. Obviously I am looking back thinking WTF why did I do that?! and will never make that mistake again.

For the past 8 months since then, I have been monogamously sleeping with a different partner. Stupid move number two, I didn't get tested before we started sleeping together, because I didn't feel like anything was wrong so OF COURSE nothing was!!! Yea... Silly me, I know. Lesson learned in that regard, too.

My partner informed me that he thinks he has chlamydia (he has been experiencing discomfort during urination and ejaculation, only symptom), and that I am the only person who could have given it to him. He thinks that I must have cheated on him! Obviously I couldn't say for certain that I didn't pass it on to him, given that I wasn't tested after my previous partner/before this one. However, I can say that I definitely haven't been sleeping with anyone else at the same time as him!

My question is, if I have chlamydia and have passed it on to him, would it be possible for him to be just starting to show symptoms 8 months later? I know that symptoms typically show up (if they do at all) 1-3 weeks after exposure, but I want to know if there is any likelihood that he contracted it when we started having sex and the symptoms are just now starting to show up for him? Is that probable/possible/at all likely?

Ideally, he just has a UTI and everything will be fine. Regardless, we are both getting tested ASAP.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not likely (but not impossible, either) that symptoms would just start showing up for him now if he'd contracted chlamydia when you first started having sex eight months ago. But if you did have chlamydia, and passed it on to him, that may not have happened right away: having sex with someone who has an STI doesn't mean we're guaranteed to get that STI, just that it's likely.

Obviously, the only way to know for sure what's going on is for you both to get tested, so it's good to hear you have plans to do that ASAP. It may be that he doesn't have chlamydia, but there's something else going on, but either way, he needs to make getting tested and treated his first priority, and then the two of you can discuss (based on the results of your testing) where this might have started, if that's relevant.

(In case you haven't taken this step already, by the way, it's best not to have any kind of sex until you know what's going on and have been treated appropriately.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriouslythough
Neophyte
Member # 95837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seriouslythough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your response!

I guess in my original post, I assumed that he would have contracted it pretty quickly from me if I had it since we were having sex so often. I didn't consider that he may not have contracted it until later on. I'm really, really hoping that neither of us turns out to have it. If we do, I'm assuming it would be more likely that there is unfaithfulness going on rather than any of these other options... :/

Yea I'm definitely not having any sort of sexual contact until this is all figured out. Going in on Tuesday, hoping for quick results. I'm trying my best not to stress but it's so hard!

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriouslythough
Neophyte
Member # 95837

Wanted to update on this, in case anyone is searching for a situation similar to their own:

I got my test results back, negative on all panels. Dude went to the doctor and was told he has a UTI. Everything went better than expected.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you two been able to work through his initial accusations?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.