Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Condoms and Latex Allergy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms and Latex Allergy
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, my partner and I talked about condoms as an extra method of protection in addition to my birth control pill. I'm elated that he wants another method of protection (we both don't want to rely fully on the pill); so I was ecstatic and didn't know exactly what to say. But today I am a bit worried, because I have an allergy to latex. I'm not sure if it's just an allergy to a type of latex or a substance similar to latex; but I'm kind of concerned as to what that might do when we are having sex. We've only had intercourse once without a condom (I was on the pill); and it hurt but I obviously had no reaction, so I don't know what my side effects could be.

If he did use condoms and I had an allergic reaction, what would that do to me? Would I just be itchy, a little sore, or something worse? I'd rather have some inconvenient post-effects than just rely on the pill - the double protection is what I really want.

Thank you for your response and for your continual support of all my questions!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about just using non-latex condoms and avoiding any reaction at all?

Not knowing your allergy/sensitivity and how it's manifested for you before, we couldn't predict what would happen here. But since great non-latex condoms (not lambskin, though, those don't protect against STIs) are out there, why risk it?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response, Heather!

After talking about my allergies with my mom (I wanted to find out any allergies I have, to keep track), I am apparently not allergic to latex; but allergic to the glue on band-aids. I am quite relieved about that; but a bit confused, since my mother told me once that it was latex. I'll check the condoms I have at home and see if they are latex-free, anyway.

I've never used condoms before; and as excited as I am about this, I'm kind of nervous. Since I am on the pill and have more cervical mucous, do I need lubricant of any kind? I am aware that if I also relaxed and didn't constrict my muscles, it might not hurt as much; but I'd really like to be aware of what to expect.

Thank you so much!

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adding extra lube is pretty much always a good idea. Even if your body produces quite a bit, it generally doesn't hold up to condoms too well, so having a bottle on hand to add extra when you need to is very handy. Look for one that's water-based: Astroglide is one that's generally easy to find, but there are a lot of options.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much! I'm assuming that I could fine lube like Astroglide in a drugmart or pharmacy-like department - is that true? (I've never purchased them before). Thank you for answering my questions, I really appreciate it! [Smile]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, birth control pills tend to thicken discharges, so lube is usually even more needed, rather than less, for those using the pill and engaging in any kind of sex with vaginal entry.

In terms of other parts of what to expect and consider, have you seen these yet?
• First Intercourse 101
• Let's Get Metaphysical: The Etiquette of Entry

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much for your response! I am finding the articles really helpful, as well!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Great! Feel free to ask any questions you might have about them, or which they didn't address for you. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.