Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Freaking out...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freaking out...
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missjuliek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 3 months on my old birth control brand, planned parenthood switched my brands. I always on my old brand got my breakthrough bleeding on my third placebo pill. Those were very similar to my periods before I went on birth control, only a few days shorter. After completing my new pill for the first time, I did get my breakthrough bleed that lasted three days like it did on my old brand. But should I be concerned that it could be implantation bleeding?!?! It was dark brown, had small clots in it here and there, and lighter flow than usual, but more than it would be if I thought I was spotting. It barely filled a pad. I started my new brand right after my placebo pill week on my old brand was over, and I didn't miss a single pill. Oh and if it helps, my partner and I always used a backup method (condom). So with the info I am sharing, does anyone here have any advice on this or does anyone think I should be very concerned about pregnancy? FYI I am in my 2nd week of the 2nd month of my new brand right now, and the brown period that bothered me was accompanied by my usual PMS symptoms including breaking out and wanting to cry haha.

Also I read that old blood is brown and should not be considered your breakthrough bleed, even if it does come when you usually get your breakthrough bleed. Is that true? My boobs are a liiiiitttle sore but nothing major. Help!

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Implantation bleeding is very rare, and when it does happen it is only very light spotting. So, the bleeding does not sound like it could have been implantation bleeding.

Too, if you have been using the pill and condoms together, and are using both as directed, your risk of pregnancy is very low.

Either that withdrawal bleed was just a one off wacky bleed, which happens from time to time, or your new pill makes your bleeds look a little different. Neither would be a big deal. As long as you get your withdrawal bleeds during the placebo week as usual, you don't need to worry.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9010 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missjuliek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just concerned because my boobs are a little tender. And I'm starting my final week of my second pack of the new brand. I am also starting to get white discharge. Maybe I'm ovethinking because I never once had an omg am I preggo moment. If it helps I switched from Sronyx to Lutera.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though each brand of birth control pill does basically the same thing, it's a different chemical formulation and our bodies can react differently to different brands. Plus, it can often take the body a few cycles to adjust to the new formulation.

Tender breasts can be from any kind of small hormonal shift, including the ones we can have during our cycles, even when we're on hthe pill.

As Joey said, as long as you've been using the pill and condom as directed, your likelihood of pregnancy is pretty darn low and you're likely just experiencing your body reacting differently to this new pill.

Know too that sometimes, whether we're on regulating medication or not our bodies can decide to just go a little wonky for a cycle or two. [Smile] It's the beauty of not being machines.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

That's good to hear. I just never switched pills before. When I first began birth control, I never had a brown period. And before it, my periods were 5 days long, and on it they are about 3. It's just I never had a withdrawl bleed that only filled about one pad a day before and never saw it in that color other than as the period/withdrawl bleed was coming to an end.

I think I did use all my protection right. I took all of my pills within the same hour every night (sometimes about 15 minutes early/late but always within the same hour) and none of our condoms ever broke. My boyfriend finishes in me but since I am protected with the pill and condom, I figured it was ok for him to do so. Double protection, right? Anyway thanks everyone for assuring me I am ok. My boobs are not as sore as they were the last few days. I never took the time to notice if they felt this way on other periods/withdrawl bleeds before because I never worried about something being wrong. If my next withdrawl bleed happens and lasts around the same time, I am going to be breathing the hugest sigh of relief ever!

Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

I take my last pill in this pack on Wednesday, so please everyone cross your fingers for me that the symptoms I have are just due to my body adjusting to the new pill and my paranoia. I am also planning on talking to my boyfriend about pulling out before he finishes in addition to my using of the pill and his use of the condom. I am lucky enough to have a boyfriend who I feel COMPLETELY comfortable talking about that with. I know some girls have boyfriends who they sleep with but just can't talk about the stuff, which isn't good. I swear if I don't start getting my zits on my chin after my last pill (that has ALWAYS been my cue that my period or in this case withdrawl bleed) is about to begin, I will be stressing so bad. [Frown] I did have that symptom before my wacky bleed last month that came on time after my first month on this new brand. I am SO sorry for rambling but my nerves are getting the best of me.

[ 04-20-2012, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Missjuliek ]

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to sound like an expert, because I'm not, but based on what other staff and volunteers have said on this site: when using the pill and condoms it's not a good idea to use withdrawal as well, as normally the two methods have a high protection and withdrawing quickly with a condom can cause it to slip and spill sometimes.

If any staff or volunteer wants to say something about this situation, then go ahead. [Smile]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Yes if someone could give me a little insight on whether or not that's a good idea, please [Smile]
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WesLuck is right: combining withdrawal with condoms can result in the condom slipping. Plus, it's really not necessary to add in a third method - it won't change your levels of protection. Honestly, I'd say that if you're this concerned about the possibility of pregnancy, however small, you might want to think about whether having the kinds of sex that can create pregnancy is a good choice for you right now.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5660 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Oh I'm fine with the pill and condom combo but was just wondering if adding withdrawal would also be wise. I'll steer away from that, unless of course a condom isn't around. Thank you!
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Thought I'd update today to say I got my withdrawal bleed and it's back to being red and normal flow. I feel so much better. Now I know how my body reacts to a new pill brand the first month. Thanks everyone for their advice!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.