Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » dark nipples?? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: dark nipples??
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so today in the bath i noticed my nipples were darker, i investigated this online and it was said pregnancy could be a symptom, one website said it can only occur after 8 weeks, but on forums womens were saying they had it before they missed their period, so im a little confused as to when this symptom would occur, if i would be pregnant it would be 2-3 weeks?
my nipples are turning more of a brown colour?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's start with whether or not you are pregnant. Have you had a NO Pregnancy Risks

In most situations, bodily changing can be a symptom of a variety of things.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think i may have had a few risks, which is why i am concerned about this symptom im getting, like looking now its more normal coloured again, and before it was more brown.
Also I had a mild risk a few days ago, before that i was having heavy brown discharge but now thats stopped, so thats made me think this is a pregnancy symtom, i mean it may sound incredibly silly, but would it even be possible to get pregnancy symptoms 12 days after a risk?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you feel better, I have this problem too during different times of my cycle and I'm definitely not pregnant [Smile]

It's probably due to hormone fluctuations, are you on the Pill at all?

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy tests generally start being accurate 14 days after a risk, so, while there are always exceptions, I would say that no, you wouldn't be getting symptoms like that 12 days after a risk.

Are you on any birth control?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

nope, but going online all it says is pregnancy, and its only been 12 days, i dont think i would get symtoms that quick but all these forums say its possible, its almost like a bruised colour ?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I've glanced back at your most recent post, and it looks as if it was determined you didn't have a risk that time. Would you like to tell me what the risk you had 12 days ago was, so we can figure that one out too?

The thing with symptoms of anything is that if you just have one, it's not generally a sign of anything. To be clearer, when a doctor diagnoses something, it's rarely based on one symptom, but based on whether someone has a certain number of symptoms that would go along with the diagnosis.

--------------------
Robin

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

yeah, i wrote about that risk on here, where there was a bit of rubbing but there was nothing really direct, i try not to worry but i see symptoms then i convince myself and make myself worry, i know its only one symptom but it still makes me worry :/
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

The first "symptom" of pregnancy is almost always a missed period.

The kind of thing you're talking about, with your nipples looking darker, is more of a byproduct of pregnancy rather than a "symptom". That is, nipple darkening doesn't tell someone they're pregnant. It's something that people who are already pregnant notice is happening to their bodies.

What I'm wondering is, since you feel so anxious about pregnancy possibilities, if it might be good for you to take a break from engaging in the sexual activities that make you so anxious? We can tell you that these activities do not pose risks, and we can show you articles saying the same thing, but it sounds like you're just generally anxious about it and that this information isn't helpful to you right now.

What do you think?

--------------------
Robin

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

i really think i do, and perhaps go on a method of birth control, because i have literally been on websites looking at abortions and so on, i think its quite a problem now, i mean i was never like this, i mean no sperm has come in contact with my vagina, what i posted about a few days ago wasnt considered a risk because the sperm was on my hand but i still think i am, i think i create almost phantom symtoms, at the moment i think im just gonna take a test on tuesday (when im due) and see then because right now thats the only thing thats gonna stop this constant worrying,
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If taking a test will allay your fears, then go for it!

What are your plans to keep from becoming so panicked in future?

--------------------
Robin

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Well I would like to go on birth control, maybe even talk to someone, because I convince myself and I was looking at an abortion website with all these stories and broke down so my plans are to stop sexual activity till im on birth control after all im only 15 so I need to not be wreckless
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

I really did scare myself with all the stories, im sure im making up phantom symptoms, another thing, if I had a 37 day cycle last period but a 39 day before that what day should I take a test?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sounds like going on some sort of birth control would go a long way towards easing your mind.

I'm also wondering if it might be time to stop reading all those stories? WE've talked about how the activities you engaged in don't pose pregnancy risks.

At the same time, I definitely understand you wanting to take a test to ease your mind. What day of your cycle are you on now? You can take a test 14 days after the risk occurred, if that's an easier way for you to measure.

--------------------
Robin

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Well yeah, I will, in the UK if you know, can I get a free one anywhere, because tests are pretty pricey,
Also what is meant by a byproduct?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mysteryflower: in the UK, you can use the NHS -- with your GP or a sexual health clinic -- to get tested for pregnancy at no cost.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

I dont have time for a blood test one though ?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's rare for clinics to do blood tests to determine pregnancy. They usually use urine tests like the ones you can buy for home use.

So, at a doctor's office, you can get a urine test done and have the results that same visit.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Okay thanks, is it possible they will give me a home test to do on my own?
Heather
Member # 3

I don't know why they would and that doesn't seem likely.

Is there a reason you're not okay with just having it done by a clinic or doctor, especially given their chance of error will be lower than yours?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

(Mind, clinical tests don't come with instructions like home tests, either, so I don't think you taking home a clinical test would be useful in the first place.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

I think its just uncomfortable with me, ill probably buy a two pack and test again a 2 days?
Heather
Member # 3

Since periods often don't come on the exact same day of every cycle, I'd do yourself a favor and wait a few days before testing so you don't have to keep doing it.

But it also sounds to me like you could probably use some extra education, and it also seems you're interested in looking into a birth control method, so especially since you have testing and all of this available to you at no cost through the NHS, I'd personally encourage you to go that route. Sure, it might be a little uncomfy at first or awkward, but hey, so is a lot of life. And if uncomfy or awkward is about getting what you need at the least cost to you, it seems to me that's the way to go, you know?

(Plus, sexual healthcare tends to be one of those things that feels a lot less awkward once you just bite the bullet, seek it out, and get it done.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Yeah, tbh my gp usually is appointments so im gonna buy some tests from my pharmecy then test in a few days and on Friday im gonna go to my family planning clinic about birth control ^^
Heather
Member # 3

Okay.

Just know you could save yourself some cash if you made that app't for BC with the clinic and also got a pregnancy test there at the same time. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

I know, but my clinic is only open on Fridays so im gonna go this week after taking a test [Smile]
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Sorry to ask, if I got a test done at my gp would I not have to wait a few days for the result?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urine tests done by healthcare professionals only take a few minutes, so you'd get the results right then. The results of blood tests can take a few days, but those are usually only done to confirm the results of a urine test.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

oh okay thanks, i brought 2 tests i used one yesterday, which was day 37 of my cycle, my cycle is always irregular but never more than 40 days, the tests said that they can be used 4 days before a period. I got negative, so do you think that my negative was reliable?
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

also my last cycle was 37 days ^^
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As we've discussed, from the sexual activities you described, your risk of prgnancy is low to nonexistent. That combined with a negative pregnancy test tells me that you most likely are not pregnant. [Smile]

It also sounds like your period will be showing up soon, if it follows its usual pattern.

--------------------
Robin

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Thank you, the tests were cheap and early response so that was a plus, should i use the next one too?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sounds like you can wait a few days and see if your period comes. You can test again if you're feeling like you need the reassurance.

--------------------
Robin

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

10 mIU/ml- would this be a early response test?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

--------------------
Robin

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.