Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » A little put off by doctor's visit. (venting)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little put off by doctor's visit. (venting)
AXZ
Neophyte
Member # 94526

Icon 8 posted      Profile for AXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So around Valentine's day I got a pretty bad yeast infection (textbook symptoms). I treated it with monistat without going to the doctor- against all recommendations, but it was a VERY busy week for me and I was very confident that it was a yeast infection. The monistat cleared it up fine within a few days; however, similar (milder) symptoms came up while I was on Easter break. It cleared up on its own, but I really wanted to get an STD test just to be "sure," especially since I'd had a rather unfortunate experience with unprotected sex with someone that I didn't know.
(TLDR: I got two yeast infections and wanted to get a full STD test to make sure it was nothing else because I'd had unprotected sex)

I had a free afternoon earlier this week and went to my campus health office to get a referral to the clinic (if you go through campus health there is no copay to go to the clinic and visit their physician). It's my regular clinic anyways, and I've been to this doctor before. I told the school nurse practitioner that I had a yeast infection that had mostly cleared up and that I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't anything else- I said this at least 2 or 3 times. I was pretty up front about there being a very real possibility of an infection.

So they get me a same-day appointment, I go in and have a pelvic exam (my first! [Eek!] ). Now what bothers me here is the amount of focus they put on the whole yeast infection thing. I mean, I said it had pretty much cleared up and that I was just there to rule out anything else. She wasn't even going to initially test me for chlamydia and gonorrhea unless the BV and yeast swabs came back clear- I requested she just do them at the same time. As expected, the BV/yeast test came back normal and I waited a day for the gonorrhea and chlamydia results. THANKFULLY, those also came back negative.

What I'm confused by is why they weren't more concerned that a 19 year old, sexually active (multiple partners) female might have an STD? I feel like I shouldn't have had to fight even THAT much just to be responsible. If I wasn't as up front/demanding/comfortable with my doctor as I am, I probably never would have gotten those tests done when I feel like it should have been routine.
Also, should they have tested me for other things? I know gonorrhea and chlamydia are the two big ones, especially since they may produce no symptoms. Should I go get tested for other diseases/infections, even if I'm exhibiting no symptoms (and using condoms absolutely religiously now)?

Okay. Phew. End vent session. Thanks for your help! [Smile]

(PS- to anyone reading this, the pelvic exam was NOT bad at all- super fast and painless. I would never hesitate to get tested/treated for something just because of anxiety about that- and I have stressed about and avoided them for YEARS.)

--------------------
-

Posts: 2 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Ace
Neophyte
Member # 95560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Ace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you asked they should have tested you for everything minus HIV because I know that takes a separate test.

That is rather disheartening that they were so passive about STIs. =/

Posts: 10 | From: USA - East Coast | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.