Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » A Year in China - Birth Control Inquiry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Year in China - Birth Control Inquiry
paperlight
Neophyte
Member # 42077

Icon 5 posted      Profile for paperlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!!

I need advice on this issue.

I will be moving to China this coming September and will need about a year's worth of Cyclessa. This is the only pill that works for me - I don't only take this for birth control, but also for other medical matters such as hormone imbalance (believe me, I tried other types and it didn't quite work out).

My doctor already provided me a year's worth of prescription, but my health insurance can only cover costs as I purchase them once every month. I feel like I'm at a tough bind - I know China has BC too, but I don't want to take anything else but Cyclessa because it just works well with my body. I would feel a lot safer taking my preferred brand.

Any advice? Do you think I can get around my insurance policy if I explain to them my dilemma? I will be signing up for health insurance abroad, but I'm not sure if I'll have easy access to this particular brand.

Thank you in advance. Scarleteen rocks!

Posts: 19 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you take these pills for more than birth control, your doctor might be able to advocate won your behalf.

Insurance companies are tricky beasts to navigate or even predict. My suggestion is that you talk to your doctor and see what they can do about advocating the need for continuity of care.

It sounds like you've taken a long road to finding a treatment that works.

Other volunteers and staff may have other suggestions, but I'd definitley suggest starting by asking your doctor if they'd be willing to help.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Persimmon
Neophyte
Member # 95147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Persimmon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your insurance won't cover it after you ask them, what I do for my prescription(s) is have my parents buy them with my health insurance and ship them to me each month/every couple of months as I need them.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperlight
Neophyte
Member # 42077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic -- thank you Robin and Persimmon for the responses.

Any other additional advice is appreciated!

Posts: 19 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.