Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Glycerin-Containing Lube: is It Dangerous?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Glycerin-Containing Lube: is It Dangerous?
MeravUly
Neophyte
Member # 95256

Icon 5 posted      Profile for MeravUly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that many brands of drugstore lubricants contain glycerin, and that it can lead to infections and thus should be avoided.

I've checked the lube I have (which is produced by Contex), and found out that it does, in fact, contain glycerin. However, from Chemistry class I know that glycerin is actually a key ingredient in soaps. It's a shame that I would have to throw out an almost-full bottle of lube, especially since I buy it on pocket money, but I might be prone to yeast infections, so I don't want to risk it.

So is it true that glycerin is a harmful ingredient in lubricants? Or is it just a rumor?

Posts: 4 | From: Moscow, Russia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Merav, how nice to see you at the boards?

Glycerin is one of those things that some people are sensitive to and others are not. And for people who are inclined to yeast infections -- with or without lube -- some find that lubes with glycerin can make them get them more frequently.

But really, this is a your-mileage-may-vary issue. If you haven't found your lube creates problems for you, it should be just fine. If you have found you get yeast infections often, and have tried all the basics of preventing them already with no luck, you might see if skipping on the glycerin-based lubes helps you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MeravUly
Neophyte
Member # 95256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeravUly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Heather, I'm so happy that you remember me. [Smile]

I'm not exactly INCLINED to yeast infections, I just had one a few years ago, and it was cured by medicine and slight changes in hygiene habits, so it wasn't that serious.

So I guess I'll keep using the lube, and stop if I get another infection. Thanks for the clarifycation! <3

Posts: 4 | From: Moscow, Russia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, when we say inclined to them, we're talking about people who get them often, and who find that fixing the most common culprits -- like nutritional issues, an infection that wasn't fully treated, etc. -- doesn't seem to help.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.