Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » A worried boyfriend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A worried boyfriend
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worriedTeen92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my girlfriend suffers from having 6 week gaps between her periods. Her period is due in the next few days and she says she is having discomfort in her stomach after eating and bleeding lightly. She was concerned about the 6 weeks thing and looked up some info last night, problem was she looked at certain sites not known for accuracy(Yahoo answers)and is kinda scared.

Should she be scared? Weve only been fooling around with no straight up sex, we dry humped for a few seconds while wearing a condom(it was uncomfortable so we stopped) and two days ago I came over her boobs, she washed her hands thoroughly then fingered herself later.

Whats the diagnosis?

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, worriedTeen92, welcome to Scarleteen!

I'm not clear on what you mean by she "suffers from having 6 week gaps". Do you mean she has a 6 week cycle? And what is it you are concerned about?

[ 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worriedTeen92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Sorry, didnt realise i've left such a crucial bit of info out. She has around a 6 week cycle and has concerns that she's pregnant after looking up reasons why from bad sources.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she always has a six week cycle, there's no reason for her to worry unless there was sexual activity that could lead to pregnancy. her six-week cycle is normal for her, so her body is right on track. None of the sexual activity you describe poses any risk of pregnancy.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Excellent, I can tell her to rest easy now
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Oh BTW, about those symptoms I mentioned, can they be normal for a girl on the eve of her period?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upset stomach and light spotting before the period are both normal, yes.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Thank you
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Actually i would like to take this opportunity to pose to you a problem, i have a huge pregnancy phobia. Even if there is no chance at all like in this situation, I still have vietnam-like flash-forwards to the thought of such a thing happening to me and my girlfriend, causing me to lose sleep.

I try to rationalise it or even make it humourus in my head(my girlfriend is the Virgin Mary if it happens!) but I still get queasy at the thought. If im like this now, how can I possibly sstop from going insane when we do it for real even with all the measures taken for protection. is there something wrong with me?

[ 02-12-2012, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: worriedTeen92 ]

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's often a sign that you aren't ready yet for sexual activities that are making you feel this way. And really not ready yet for any activities that pose an actual pregnancy risk. Even when using protection there is a risk of pregnancy with intercourse, for example, so to be ready for that we should be ready for the possibility of pregnancy happening.

If you are experiencing this anxiety with no risks at all it could just be your mind's way of saying you aren't comfortable yet with the activities you are doing. What do you think about slowing down?

Whoa, There! How to Slow Down When You're Moving Too Fast
Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist

[ 02-12-2012, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

I've made up my mind and so has my girlfriend to really tone it down to intimate things that have no danger of pregnancy or genital involvement at all, and I agree that we shouldnt do that till were ready but there are pressures, you know?

Anyway, she's having her period now so thats somewhat a relief that we are sure enough in the clear, but the thought is still there eh? She's feeling very tired but that could be because she has a headcold at the mo and is taking medicine that makes her drowsy.

worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

One last question to put both our minds at ease.
Considering its been a month since the first intimate moment and two weeks since the second, would pregnancy symptoms have shown up by now?

i ask this because my girlfriend told me her period this week got pretty light towards the end.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to figure out if one is pregnant by looking for pregnancy symptoms is really iffy science: plenty of symptoms of early pregnancy can also be symptoms of anything from stress to a flu. To boot, plenty of women don't start to experience symptoms until later in pregnancy.

But from the sounds of it, your girlfriend did have a period? That is a very, very strong sign that she is NOT pregnant.

If that's not enough to put your mind at ease, your girlfriend can also take a pregnancy test now and get an accurate reading.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Hey

Just a quick status update. My girlfriends next period is due in 1-2 weeks. Last night, she got stomach pains after eating a burger and some noodles and chips. The pain was sudden and lasted for a few minutes, this morning she has some mild queasiness. Is this just a stomach bug?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There's no reason to think that anything's amiss except for an upset stomach. Obviously, if she continues to feel ill after eating she should consult a doctor because stomac problems are no fun and can often be treated.

--------------------
Robin

worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Just a bloated stomach today , I should really calm down.
worriedTeen92
Neophyte
Member # 94629

Another update, she still has slight stomach pains with minimal bloating now and then(not first thing in the morning) and a loss of appetite. Just to put my mind at ease, does this sound more like a case of food poisoning than of pregnancy. She felt fine until after eating the food.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If she isn't feeling better in the next couple of days, (though it sounds like things are improving) it would be advisable for her to see a doctor. We're not doctors here so can't possibly tell you what's going on, and even if we were it wouldn't be ethical for us to diagnose over the Internet. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.