Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Extreme itch after sex? Lube or yeast?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extreme itch after sex? Lube or yeast?
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted about this before, I seem to be on a roll with posting today! Just so many questions.

With my last partner, I was INCREDIBLY itchy about 5-10 minutes after sex. About 2 weeks later, I was severely diagnosed with a yeast infection.

My question is, was the itch after sex related to the lubricant (I don't think it's latex because I've never had a problem before)? I have swelled up after sex with certain lubes. Or was it because of a yeast infection and after sex it just irritated it?

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm sensitive to Trojan lubricant or if I just irritated a yeast infection. Thanks!

(Oh, and my last partner and I were tested for STIs together).

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeast infections all by themselves tend to be itchy. And genital tissue is usually pretty raw when you have one, so any kind of genital sex can irritate the living hell out of it.

So, that's certainly possible.

But I hear you saying you have had swelling with lubes at other times: are you having it with this one, too? If so, have you ever tried any of the higher-quality lubes which are more hypoallergenic?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67205 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't itching before, that's why I was so curious. It's almost as if it was because of sex.

I've noticed I'm a little sensitive to lube on Trojan condoms. With my ex-boyfriend, my vaginal area swelled up like a balloon after sex. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. I just didn't know if lubes COULD cause yeast infections or not. But I don't think symptoms would come on so quick ..

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can't cause them, no. Yeast infections actually start in the intestinal tract. But people inclined to them can find some lubes make them more inclined to get them vaginally.

It also seems you already had a yeast infection to begin with, based on your post.

But for sure, you could see if you feel better if you use unlubricated condoms and add your own, better lube in terms of possible reactions.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67205 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll remember that next time!

--------------------
xo.

maryowen7002
Neophyte
Member # 95290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryowen7002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like you had a bad reaction to the lube or condom. are your symptoms still there?
Posts: 1 | From: usa | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.