Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Condoms + Saliva + Hand cream?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms + Saliva + Hand cream?
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Icon 4 posted      Profile for coffeeandativan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I just had my first time, it was consensual, didn't hurt, overall it was a positive experience! I just have two questions.I'm just confused for a lack of a better word. My friends are always going off about how girls develop emotions for the person they sleep with, or that feelings intensify, etc, and it's the complete opposite for me. I don't feel any different towards the person, so I guess I'm questioning if this is "normal"? Am I alone? Secondly, we didn't have any lube, though (sorry for the t.m.i) I was fairly wet, we used a condom and used spit as lubrication, then we used hand cream.I'm not on birth control, I had my period last month around the 14/15th, should I be worried about the condom possibly getting worn down? I don't think it broke or anything but I'm not sure what the failure rate would be given the circumstances? Thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sine the condom did not break, you don't have to worry about that for this time. However, hand cream is not a good substitute for lube, mostly because it just is not meant to be inside of a vagina, and may cause infections. So if you experience any itching or redness, please go and see a doctor.

Sex in and of itself doesn't really have the power to create feelings that weren't there before. I like to think of it more like a magnifying class: it can intensify feelings that were there before. So if you already love someone and then become sexually involved with them, it can make you feel closer to them for sure. But that doesn't mean that the sex created those feelings, or that it always does that for everyone and regardless of who you sleep with.

So, no, you are not alone and there is nothing wrong with you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffeeandativan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took plan b just to be safe and my period started on the 14th and felt like a normal period in terms of cramps, flow, etc... now my boobs are sore again, and I feel bloated like another period is going to start, should I be worrying that I'm pregnant and that was just a withdrawl bleed or does it sound like I had my period?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had a period, you don't have to worry about being pregnant, especially since you didn't have a risk to begin with.

Plan B can throw menstrual cycles off for some people. So you may find that your body reacts differently from what you normally experience for the next cycle or two. Nothing to worry about.

A quick comment on your earlier post: As Joey said, hand cream can cause vaginal irritation. For future reference, It can break down latex so could cause a condom to break. You would know if it broke though, so you don't need to worry that it broke the last time. You can buy lube in any drugstore, so you can pick some up to have on hand.

Since you are worried about pregnancy, would you like to discuss getting on some form of birth control in addition to using condoms?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffeeandativan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it was probably my period and not just a withdrawl bleed from the pill? Sorry for asking so many questions! I went to the washroom earlier and my cervical mucus is kinda light brown/pink tinted and I still feel like my period is going to start up again. It isn't implantation bleed or anything like that? Seems to be the only thing that comes up when I googled it.

Do you know how effective something like the patch or the shot would be against pregnancy? I tried a few different kind of pills, but I couldn't stomach the side effects. [Frown]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the date that you took the Plan B?

It doesn't really matter whether the bleed was caused by your pill or by your your menstrual cycle doing it's job. It means that the lining of your uterus was shed so that pregnancy cannot occur.

As to your period feeling as if it's going to come again: as I said, Plan B may throw things off for a few months. WE often think of that as delayed periods, but sometimes a menstrual cycle can be thrown off the other way, with frequent periods.

The patch and the shot are both very effective at preventing pregnancy. Both have 99% effectiveness with perfect use. Less with typical use (97% for the shot and 92% for the patch). These are very very goodeffectiveness rates--comparable to the Pill.

Here is some information about both of them.

the Contraceptive Patch

Depo-Provera (The Shot)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

I took it that night (8th) at 12, and then the 9th at 2 when I woke up.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Again, since you had your period, you are not pregnant.

You can always take a home pregnancy test if it would make you feel more secure.

Have you had a chance to read the info on the patch and the shot? Is this something you're planning to chat with your doctor about?

--------------------
Robin

coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

The patch seems like something I would be up to trying actually. [Smile] Thank you so much for all the information and the peace of mind!
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Sorry for asking another question! Would it be safe to say that I should expect my next period around Feb 14th?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you did take Plan B, we can't really make any predictions about your periods. One of the most common side effects of Plan B is an irregular period for the following couple of months, so you'll just have to wait and see what happens.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

That's fair, guess all I can do is wait. I'm feeling more confident about not being pregnant, I think I won't be 100% convinced until my next period comes but it's not a huge worry like it was [Smile] Thanks for all your help.
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

I just went to the washroom and when I wiped I noticed dark red blood, but not a whole lot of it. Is some spotting normal or should I take a test? :s
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some irregular bleeding or spotting is a very common side effect of Plan B. Not to mention that you've had one period after your potential risk, so pregnancy is not something you need to be concerned about. If it would make you feel better though, by all means take a test: that $10 or so is so often worth the peace of mind.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.