Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Weird smell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird smell?
meanev77
Activist
Member # 45601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanev77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there scarleteen,

I was reading your "STI: Cliff Notes" or whatever and in particular I was reading about "bacterial vaginosis." Around 2 months ago, I could tell something was off with how I smelt down there..I have been using vagisil wash which has helped, but it's still there sometimes..could that be it? I am a little worried, and don't know how to find out for sure. My discharge has stayed about the same though, sometimes there is more than other times but that has always been usual. Or am I freaking out for nothing and it could just be a yeast infection? Please let me know.

Thanks.

--------------------
-meanev77-

Posts: 133 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when something changes in our bodies, particularly if that change sticks around, it's a good idea to get it checked out by a health care professional.

If it is a yeast infection (and I can't say whether it is or isn't), that should be checked out and treated.

Do you have a doctor you can go see, or a clinic you can go to?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
As well, it's generally not necessary to use products such as vagisil wash as your vagina cleans itself by producing secretions. You can use a mild soap to wash around the external area and vulva. Douching (putting water up into your vagina to wash it) is known to increase risk of getting infections like bacterial vaginosis.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meanev77
Activist
Member # 45601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanev77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I can go to a doctor and get it checked out. I haven't ever douched or put it in my vagina, I have just washed the outside like you said with vagisil. Is it something to be extremely worried about or once I go in, it won't take long to diagnose and make it go away?

Thanks again

Posts: 133 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A strange smell with no other symptoms likely isn't something to be extremely worried about. I can't say of course how long it will take them to diagnose but thesooner you can get yourself to see a doctor the sooner this should be resolved.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.