Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » What would the risk be?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would the risk be?
zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zalmentra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a hypothetical situation, so no rush answering, I am just curious after doing some research.

If a couple were to have intercourse using only the withdrawal method for contraception, would their risk of pregnancy be that great? By using withdrawal I mean perfect use - so urinating before intercourse, pulling out long before ejaculation and taking care to either ejaculate away from the female or else not ejaculate at all until moving to a different activity that doesn't have any pregnancy risk.

From what I have read online, the risk is pretty small with perfect use, but I could be wrong. I know about the STI risks, but I am just curious about pregnancy alone. What is the real risk with pre-ejaculate, when the male has urinated before Intercourse?

Like I said, hypothetical situation, so no rush answering :-)
But my question is just whether withdrawal is really as bad as it's made out to be in terms of pregnancy risk?

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Birth control bingo article from main Scarleteen site:
Withdrawal is 96% effective with perfect use; 4 out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year
Withdrawal is 73-82% effective with typical use: 18-27 out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year

http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_withdrawal

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zalmentra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess im just a but confused as to where that 4% comes from, if perfect use involves urinating beforehand. But I guess it's the same as every other birth control method that isn't 100%.

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

I guess im just a but confused as to where that 4% comes from, if perfect use involves urinating beforehand. But I guess it's the same as every other birth control method that isn't 100%.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.