Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » birth control/period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control/period
thompsonc
Neophyte
Member # 93617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thompsonc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started taking birth control about 2 weeks ago and my period is a little late, I havent had sex since before i started taking pills but always used condoms, is it normal for my period to be late after starting to use pills or could i be pregnant? but my last period was early so i thought it might just be balancing itself out (or i was hoping anyway)
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thompsonc: Welcome to Scarleteen!

Given you've only been taking the pills for two weeks, it's not uncommon at all for you to miss a period or have it be late. The first three or so months you may notice an odd schedule as your body takes some time to get used to the pill. As well? Only having started 2 weeks ago it's actually early for your withdrawal bleed.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thompsonc
Neophyte
Member # 93617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thompsonc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks a lot! but what's a withdrawl bleed?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thompsonc
Neophyte
Member # 93617

oh wait also it's been one week, dont know why i said two
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way that a pill works is that you take active pills containing hormones for three weeks, and then during the fourth week, you take a break from the hormones and during that time you'll have what looks like a period. Since it's not a real period, we call that a withdrawal bleed.

So, if you are on your first week of active pills, you shouldn't be having any sort of bleeding right now, anyway.

And, as Stephanie said, withdrawal weeks tend to be a little irregular during the first 2-3 months on the pill while the body is still adjusting.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thompsonc
Neophyte
Member # 93617

oh ok, thanks! ya I knew about not really having a period, i just didnt know it was called that, I was just a little worried, but I took a test and it was negative, and it's probably accurate,so that's excellent. with the pills does that mean I will only get my "period" during the week im not taking the pills?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's right. The withdrawal bleed will only happen during the week you don't take the pills. There are That week without hormones allows your body to shed any uterine lining its built up.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.