Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pfizer Recall (1/31/2012) Lo/Ovral-28 And Norgestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pfizer Recall (1/31/2012) Lo/Ovral-28 And Norgestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 4 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.pfizer.com/news/press_releases/pfizer_press_releases.jsp#guid=20120131007121en&source=RSS_2011&page=1

If this is your brand of hormonal birth control, please make sure you check your pill packs to see if they've been included in this recall. Apparently some of the packs included in the recalled lots have too many active pills and others have too few. This means that the risk of pregnancy could be increased.

The packaging should have a lot number and other information printed on them. Check yours ASAP to see if it falls under this recall.

If your packet is recalled, you should immediately begin using a backup method of contraception (condoms, etc.) until you can get the packet replaced. Take the affected packet back to the pharmacy and they will replace it for you at no cost. (PLEASE NOTE: You should not have to buy a new pack. Because this is a recall, the company is basically replacing the packs for anyone impacted by this.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairyprincess89
Neophyte
Member # 94302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairyprincess89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really worried about the pfizer recall. I've been using norgestrel - estradiol for about 10 months now. I usually always get my period between Sunday night and Tuesday morning, BUT this month it didn't come until early Wednesday morning and is very light. I am sexually active, but was never entered without a condom on, which was always completely successful (i.e. no breakage!. I've been stressed and depressed lately, and I started a new schedule (all which can affect your cycle). I know it's normal to have fluke months, but the recalls got me really worried. I'm going to take a pregnancy test to ease my mind, but I know they aren't 100% accurate. What's the best way to handle this situation?
Posts: 11 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairyprincess89
Neophyte
Member # 94302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairyprincess89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and I forgot to add, I take the pill at 7 am every morning without fail - so it isn't from a missed pilled!
Posts: 11 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no risk from what you describe. You did get a withdrawal bleed even if it was a little different than normal. Also, While we don't know for sure because of the recall whether your pill was effective or not, we do know that your condoms always did their job. That's the beauty of using 2 birth control methods together. If one is at all comporomised (and remember that we don't know for sure if your pill pack was one of the compromised packs) than the other one is there to take over.

If you want to take a pregnancy test and know that it's accurate, we recommend taking it aat least 14 days after your last suspected risk.

But again, I think you're okay here.

Moving forward, have you taken care of getting your pills replaced?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairyprincess89
Neophyte
Member # 94302

I;m not really sure how to go about replacing my pills. I get my packages in three month packages. The pack that I've finished this week, and the next one are both compromised. Of course it happens to the perfect user! However, I recently had to change pharmacies, I was Medco, but now I have to go to CVS. The change was as of the new year, and I haven't picked up any prescriptions from CVS yet. If I walk in with all my information, do they still help me out?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as they have a record of your prescription from your doctor or clinic, then yes, they will help you.

If you're not sure, you can call the CVS, explain the situation, and ask them what to do.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairyprincess89
Neophyte
Member # 94302

Thank you so much! You've really helped deal with the stress! How can I learn sooner about recalls in the future? Do you know of any resources?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome.

The press release announcing this recall was dated today so you weren't late to the game. [Smile]

Recalls are often announced on the news. You can also follow the Web sites for the manufacturers of drugs you take to get their latest news.

--------------------
Robin

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fairyprincess89:
...I recently had to change pharmacies, I was Medco, but now I have to go to CVS. The change was as of the new year, and I haven't picked up any prescriptions from CVS yet. If I walk in with all my information, do they still help me out?

If CVS says they cannot help, you should be able to contact Medco. Because you filled the prescription with them, it should not matter if your current plan has new requirements. There should be a customer service number on your Medco order (or you can find it online).

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.