Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » PCOS scan - what do I need to know?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PCOS scan - what do I need to know?
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've booked a doctor's appointment to get checked for polycystic ovaries, as I've noticed I have some of the symptoms; weight gain, some excess body hair, and acne I've not been able to get rid of since the age of eight. I'm aware that it's probably just poor diet and lack of exercise (though I'm getting better with that now) but I thought it was worth trying to get PCOS ruled out. Is there anything I need to know about what the doctor will need to know or do? For the moment it's just an appointment to discuss it, but if I get referred for an official scan, what exactly does that involve?
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about we hold off on that until and unless you actually are referred for that?

If you don't feel like you can, what that kind of scan is in just a basic abdominal or transvaginal ultrasound, which people can be given for a host of reasons, from pregnancy to endo to PCOS, etc.. You an find out about those here: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=pelvus

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks. I was just curious.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Doctor's taken a blood sample for testing (for PCOS, thyroid problems, and blood glucose problems). I should get the results in a week. Fingers crossed.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey dokey Miz, I like to keep myself busy and focus on having fun while waiting for test results - that way the week goes super quick and I can grab my results.

How are you feeling about it?

[ 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Okay. I'm reasonably sure nothing is wrong, I just wanted a checkup just in case. I've been trying to get fit and I wanted to make sure my weight doesn't have any underlying medical causes that need taking care of.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good plan there. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Test results came back; everything's normal! Excellent.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Woo-hoo! Excellent! [Cool]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.