Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Urination after ejaculating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urination after ejaculating
Dregae
Neophyte
Member # 31832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dregae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I don't mean to spam or misuse the board in any way, but I'd like to re-post a post i made in the "ask scarleteen" area here, so as not to limit it just to volunteers, since the original post is currently a few pages into the backlogs. (I suspect that's because there were more urgent questions then mine--perfectly understandable.) Hopefully that's okay.

I'd just like to make sure this isn't an problem; I've had this issue ever since puberty, when I started producing semen.

I'm male, and after ejaculating I almost always feel a need to urinate within 2 or 3 minutes, and some times literally immediately after ejaculation, even if I have just urinated immediately previous to ejaculating. My bladder usually seems to fill itself up for me to do so fairly quickly (possibly unusually so), and I always notice some semen in my urine after I urinate, though I try to remove as much semen from my urethra as possible. Is this abnormal?

Posts: 7 | From: Right...behind you! | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileyGuy1974
Activist
Member # 31422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmileyGuy1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dregae,

In my opinion, I don't see anything abnormal about either of the concerns you posted.

First, having to urinate within 2 to 3 minutes after ejaculation is no different than having to urinate 2 to 3 hours after ejaculation. As long as your bladder is working properly, which it seems to be, there is nothing to worry about.

Second, finding semen in your urine right after ejaculation doesn't surprise me either. The old joke is, "Why did God decide to run a waste/water treatment line through a recreational area?" After an ejaculation, there is going to be a little semen left in the pipes (so to speak) and the next time you urinate, it will flush that semen out.

A urination/semen problem that some men experience is called retrograde ejaculation. Instead of ejecting the semen out the end of the penis, it shoots up to the bladder. However, given the facts as you've described them, you don't have this problem.

All-in-all, you sound quite normal. Isn't it great to be normal!?

Posts: 71 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dregae, I'm sorry your post got overlooked. Sometimes we just miss posts, or are not sure of the answer and figure another mod will get it, and it just kinda gets lost.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend had this problem too. He would sometimes pee after ejaculation, on accident. I researched online a bit, and it gave me two good answers:

1. This is pretty common for someone close to puberty/right after puberty, because the whole tubing isn't 100% working yet. (And since my boy is 19, this wasn't our answer, but it might be yours)
2. If there is too much stimulation (particularly on the head of the penis) it might get so intense that the spasms alter which tube is open.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dregae
Neophyte
Member # 31832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dregae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pixeldot: Thanks for the advice; do you know where you found that information? I don't know if that's my answer, as I'm around your boyfriend's age, and it seems to happen almost all the time, but I'd be interested in reading whatever you found.

Also, just to be completely clear, (I'm not insinuating that you didn't understand me; it's entirely possible/probable there's some correlation), I don't urinate by accident after ejaculation, I just have a strong <i>need</i> to.

JamsessionVT: That's fine, I understand. Heck, I appreciate having this board in the first place! I don't really know where/who else I would have felt comfortable asking.

SmileyGuy: Good to hear about semen in urine being normal. I don't believe I have retrograde ejaculation; to the best of my knowledge I ejaculate normally, although the chronic-ness of the problem was beginning to make me wonder about that. The thing about it that still bothers me, though, is that this can happen on a completely empty bladder, and the time that it takes for my bladder to fill to the level that it does takes noticeably shorter then it does when not after ejaculation--and I often don't drink any extra fluids.

Posts: 7 | From: Right...behind you! | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileyGuy1974
Activist
Member # 31422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmileyGuy1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dregae,

Believe it or not, I have the answer! I had my annual doctor's appointment last year, and he wanted to run blood and urine tests. When the nurse handed me the urine sample container, I kind of laughed and said, "This could take a while, because I just used the bathroom right before coming in." That's when the nurse told me this:

"The bladder always retains a minimal amount of urine. Just relax and run water in the sink and you'll urinate in no time."

I'll be darned...she was right! Thus, your bladder isn't going to be "totally" empty when you urinate. But, I did notice your second observation...that it takes a considerably shorter time between urinations if you have an ejaculation in there. Well, I can't say I have a definitive answer for you, but let's break this down...When a man ejaculates (assuming he has a corresponding orgasm) all sorts of muscles are spasming and contracting. (Orgasmic contractions occur at .8 second intervals as a matter of fact!) With everything contracting like that, it would lead one to believe that the bladder and the prostate and many other organs and areas of the body are affected by it all, thus, triggering the sensation to have to urinate.

That's my theory. It's simplistic, yes, but based on some degree of common sense. Perhaps the website pixeldot referenced has some additional facts. Let's put it this way...some people have the urge to smoke after sex, and you have the urge to urinate after sex. The big difference is; your urge doesn't cause lung cancer.

Good Luck

Posts: 71 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ana Simone
Neophyte
Member # 30361

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ana Simone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I read this post. I've also been curious about this topic for a long time. As embarassing as it is to admit, my first partner had this same problem. The first time I ever performed oral sex it happened, and to this day I have gone back and forth in my head between anger and sympathy, unsure of whether he did it on purpose but not wanting to believe that. I felt disgusting and humiliated (as he must have too), and until now have shared that with no one. Of course now I am much older and wiser, and know the importance of safe sex, but it hurts still to think of the younger, more nieve and vulnerable me.

I hope that Scarleteen would consider an article on this topic, seeing as how simply reading that THIS IS NORMAL takes an huge weight off for me and would for countless others.

[ 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Natasha S ]

Posts: 18 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileyGuy1974
Activist
Member # 31422

From all of us who posted on this thread...we're so glad we could help. [Smile]
Ana Simone
Neophyte
Member # 30361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Simone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance for a response from Scarleteen? [Smile]
Posts: 18 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, when we don't respond in a question that's gone on a long time and been answered by users, it's because we can see that users are posting accurate information and there's no need for myself or the volunteers to step in.

SmileyGuy's posts are right on this one.

I don't see the need for an article about how it's normal to feel a need to urinate after sex, either (and certianly nothing to be humiliated about because a partner has to pee, nor do I get how safer sex comes into play here at all), I have to say: since it's a given that it's normal to feel an urge to urinate any time one's bladder is full, including after sexual activity.

In other words, about all the article would have to say is that's it's normal to feel an urge to uriante pretty much whenever, and to boot, like any publication that serves tens of thousands a day, with articles, we tend to try and address what we see most asked about: to my knowledge, we've only been asked about this issue once or twice at best the whole time we've run ST.

[ 01-30-2007, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ana Simone
Neophyte
Member # 30361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Simone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe we're on the same page here. I'm not referring to the urge to have to go pee after sex in general. Of course that's normal. I'm referring to an ongoing problem of having to pee simultaneously with ejactulation. This would obviously include peeing in or on your partner, which leads to a whole different basket of issues, emotional and physical.

[[2. If there is too much stimulation (particularly on the head of the penis) it might get so intense that the spasms alter which tube is open.]]

I thought that this thread was confirming that this issue existed, but now I'm not so sure. Is this a medical condition or is it simply a really bad bladder problem? Or is it so taboo that nobody really discusses it? It's certainly something ::I:: never wanted to share with anyone.

[ 02-01-2007, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Natasha S ]

saldali1
Neophyte
Member # 93238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saldali1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone ever answer the question below from Member 30361?

I don't believe we're on the same page here. I'm not referring to the urge to have to go pee after sex in general. Of course that's normal. I'm referring to an ongoing problem of having to pee simultaneously with ejactulation. This would obviously include peeing in or on your partner, which leads to a whole different basket of issues, emotional and physical.

[[2. If there is too much stimulation (particularly on the head of the penis) it might get so intense that the spasms alter which tube is open.]]

I thought that this thread was confirming that this issue existed, but now I'm not so sure. Is this a medical condition or is it simply a really bad bladder problem? Or is it so taboo that nobody really discusses it? It's certainly something ::I:: never wanted to share with anyone.

Posts: 1 | From: So Cal | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you talked to your doctor about this at all? If this is not about needing to urinate after sex, but rather during ejaculation, a doctor would be the place to start.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.