Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pubic Bumps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pubic Bumps
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I went to scratch my crotch and I felt some bumps, and it hurt really bad when I touched it. I dunno how I got it. Something like this has happened to me b4. It can't be an STD/STI b/c I haven't been sexually active for about 2 years. Last time I was sexually active, it was w/ someone who has never done it. Plus, if I was gonna get STDs from him, it would've happened shortly. So it can't be that. I dunno. What do u think it is? [Confused]
Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While this may not be a sexually transmitted infection, it's not true that it can't have been for the reasons you mentioned.

In other words, you have been sexual with someone before, which makes STIs a possibility.

I hear they are saying they did not have any partners before, but a) that may not have been true, and whatever "it" means to you, they may have engaged in some kind of sexual activity before if not "it," and b) even if they hadn't had any kind of sexual partner before, that doesn't make the risk 0. It just makes it low.

As well, most STIs most of the time, especially when they're just contracted, don't show symptoms. So, unless you got tested within a few months after this activity and all your results were negative, you can't assume you didn't contract anything because you didn't see symptoms shortly thereafter. Some STIs don't present symptoms for months or even years.

So.

Like I said, none of that means this IS an STI, it just means that's one possibility. But since you are having pain with your genitals, and are seeing bumps that weren't there before, seeing a healthcare provider is the right thing to do. To make sure they give you the right tests so you can know about this AND your STI status, for real, just be sure to be honest about having had a sexual partner before, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I see. But don't ppl get STDs shortly after their sexually active? Also, I thought u only get that if your partner is not a virgin. I could see what I can do about the testing. If I don't have STIs then what else could the reason be that I have these bumps?

--------------------
~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you might be confusing an infection with the symptoms of an infection.

When people contract infections, they get them right there and then, yes. But when people -- and IF people -- experience symptoms is way more up for grabs. Symptoms are things that result because of an infection: they're not the infection itself. make sense?

Like I said, most of the time, with most STIs and for most people, STIs are asymptomatic: in other words, they don't present noticeable symptoms at all. This is the reason why regular testing for STIs is so important, because that's the way most people ever find out they have an infection.

STIs are called that because they are infections which are most often sexually transmitted. But none of them are ONLY transmitted that way, just most commonly.

As well, people very often are not honest with partners about their sexual histories. That's another reason why the way to deal with STIs that's smart isn't relying on what someone else says about their status or their history. It's safer sex practices and getting tested oneself regularly. (Or, of course, choosing not to be sexual with other people at all, if a person wants to take no risks whatsoever.)

What else could these bumps be? An allergic reaction to something is one possibility, for instance. Sometimes yeast infections people have had for a while can also result in genital pain or changes to genital texture. But asking about an infection based on one symptom we can't even see online isn't sound. You need a healthcare provider who can look, in-person, and run whatever tests they feel are necessary. Since you're having pain, I'd arrange that soon, maybe see if you can't be seen on Monday or sometime early this week.

[ 07-17-2011, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand what u said in the second to last paragraph. That ex of mine did lie to me about a lot of things. So I dunno what's true and whats not.

I'll ask my mom to take me to gynagologist when I get back from vaca.

--------------------
~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Heather
Member # 3

Great. In the meantime, just be gentle to your genitals. So, loose pants, underpants made out of cotton, gentle wiping, no harsh soaps for washing.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

OpheliaBedelia
Neophyte
Member # 71763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OpheliaBedelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm sorry to be intruding. I just wanted to add that, from personal experience, I've experienced something called vaginal acne that might be similar to the bumps you have?

I suppose only you and your doctor will really be able to understand what's going on down there, but I know that when I was younger (and not sexually active) and had these "pimples" I was too ashamed to ask anyone about them.

It's just another possibility. http://onlyacne.com/genital-acne.html

Posts: 32 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.