Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Strep B UTI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strep B UTI
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already posted a topic on this, but didn't get the help I needed, so I was hoping someone else could help me out with a little more knowledge or research on this. The previous answer I got was pertaining to the presence of the bacteria as it normally exists in the human body, rather than once it causes infection. Group B strep rarely becomes pathogenic in healthy young people, so I understand the confusion.

A few weeks ago, I came down with a very severe UTI after intercourse (using a condom) that prevented me from urinating more than about a tablespoon at a time and caused a fairly high grade fever. My doctor diagnosed it as a Group B strep infection, but couldn't tell me why I got infected or how to prevent it in the future. I learned on my own that it is pretty rare for strep B to cause infection in a healthy young person, and that it isn't uncommon for it to cause life-threatening complications.

Luckily, after a few weeks and three rounds of antibiotics, it went away. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on possible reasons why my normal bacteria decided to turn on me and how to prevent it. I've had a lot of trouble finding consistent information for my situation.

Thanks!

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best person to ask about this is your doctor. We aren't doctors here, and also mostly focus on sexual health.

I do know that it is common to get UTIs after intercourse for many women, and some need to take a small dose of antibiotics every time after intercourse to prevent this. Most UTIs are caused by e-coli variants, though. My understanding of Group B, however, is that it usually shows up in people with reduced immune systems. I would really talk to your doctor about this and what the underlying causes might be in your case.

If your doctor didn't know what caused it, you can get a second opinion. If NO doctors can tell you, I assure you we can't either - some medical things are just not understood yet. If it is recurring, you might have to take a small dose of antibiotics after sex like many women with this problem do.

[ 07-27-2011, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your quick response!

Unfortunately my doctor told me she didn't know, and her nurse said she didn't have time to look it up for me. So when I go in for my annual gyn exam (after I find a new gynecologist), this is something I'll definitely ask about. I was just hoping someone by the off chance would have knowledge/experience with this.

Thanks again :]

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of preventing it in the future, you would do the same as for preventing UTIs caused by other bacteria. If you're having recurrent infections (like >3 in a year), your doctor can also request other investigations of your urinary tract.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to what eryn is saying... some common ways to prevent UTIs are:
  • Wipe front to back
  • Pee after sexual activities
  • Make sure to drink lots of water (or sure-free cranberry juice)
  • Wash hands/toys before use
  • If you do anal play and then vaginal play, make sure to use a different condom or wash hands/toys

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Yep, I retain water like a madman, so that's a good reminder to drink more (even when I don't feel thirsty often) just to give my GU tract a good flush.

Thanks guys :]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.