Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Mistakes all over the place... STI help, please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mistakes all over the place... STI help, please!
Unsuitable_Mentality_Me
Neophyte
Member # 43041

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Unsuitable_Mentality_Me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. This is a long story, so please bare with me. When I was dating my ex, I'm pretty sure he cheated on me. Just to say, I'm pregnant with his daughter. I'm 25 weeks and 2 days. Well, a few months ago, I found out that I have chlamydia. The boyfriend I had at the time tested clean (not sure how, but he did), so I know it had to be my ex. Well, when I tested positive, they treated me with azithromycin. Well, about 20 days after taking my medication, they tested me again. Again, they said I was positive. The only thing I had done that could have been risky was having sex with my bf at the time with a condom. So idk why I tested positive again. Well, the nurse didn't put my prescription in on time and I didn't get to take the second dose of azithromycin til the beginning of this month, 20 days before my most recent appointment. Well, when I told him that, he said that he was going to wait til my next appointment to retest me because if you don't wait at least 30 days after the medication was taken then, even if the genetic material is dead, you'll still test positive. So that would make sense that it's why I tested positive the second time around, right? WELL. I never truly had any symptoms except maybe some swelling of my inner labia and discharge. However, being pregnant, I'm not sure if the discharge is related to the chlamydia or the pregnancy. It was white and had little to no smell at all. That would point to leukorrhea (the discharge during pregnancy). But as of the last few days, the discharge has gotten thicker and picked up a tiny bit of smell to it. Not real strong, but still has a slightly stale-urine scent to it. Now I have no idea if maybe the infection is picking up, if my depression has caused the change in consistancy and smell, or if it's totally normal. On top of that, my inner labia have swollen up again and become tender. Unfortunately, I dont' know if that's even a symptom of chlamydia because I've always had small episodes of my inner labia swelling up for days.

--------------------
If Only You Knew

Posts: 18 | From: My Mind | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With labial sewlling and discharge that continues to increase, I'd go ahead and ask your doctor to see you again, especially since you're pregnant, so you always want to be cautious around your health and fetal health. It could possibly even just be a yeast infection, given all the antibiotics, but stilll, even if that's all it is, you want a doctor to be sure that's what it is and the treatment you need.

If your doctor still wants to wait on retesting you for chlamydia, that's fine, but he can certainly rule out if it's anything else, or find out if it is, so you can get the appropriate care.

You probably know this already, but for the rest of your pregnancy, you're also going to want to practice safer sex with any new partners, to the letter. Again, that's just an important thing that can protect your health, fetal health, and assure you don't develop any new conditions that would complicate things during labor, okay?

[ 05-27-2011, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you need any extra support around being pregnant right now, and what that means for you and your life, just let us know. We're happy to help however we can.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unsuitable_Mentality_Me
Neophyte
Member # 43041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unsuitable_Mentality_Me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Heather. Yeah, I've been extremely careful ever since this popped up. Of course, I've also not had any new partners since it appeared. My bf at the time (not the bd) was treated the day he was tested, but they called him a week later and told him he was clean anyway. So the only place it could have came from was my daughter's genetic father. The bf was the only person I was with after the bd. I tested clean in December, the month I got pregnant. That was also the month that bd had a lot of time off and was at home by himself while I was at work.

I really don't care where I got it, honestly. I'm like, 99.9% positive I got it from my bd, so I'm not worried about it. What I am worried about is the effects it might have on my unborn daughter. I really just want to get this all cleared up, but it seems to be resistant to the medication (hence why I came here) and... well, I'm just so stressed. I'm depressed (can't snap out of it, no matter how hard I try) because of my bf and I breaking up about a month ago. I haven't been with anyone since him. I've tried a date or two, but it just doesn't to do anything. I've already figured out that it's not losing him that makes me depressed... it's the feeling of being unwanted, useless, unneeded.... It just sucks. [Frown]

--------------------
If Only You Knew

Posts: 18 | From: My Mind | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Biggest hugs to you. For sure, going through a pregnancy without a partner -- especially if you're short on other support, too -- and having had an STI and a maybe-mystery infection is so past super-stressful.

You probably already also know that depression during and after pregnancy is really uncommon: have you gotten any help from your OB/GYN with that? Do you even feel like you have a good healthcare provider to help you through your pregnancy well?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Angus
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 64437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi UMM.

In addition to what Heather said, one other thing to bear in mind is that the becoming-a-parent part of pregnancy is really stressful on its own. There are a million things to worry about, a million things to be afraid of screwing up, and sometimes a specific health scare can be the place where your brain winds up storing all that free-floating anxiety.

There are health risks to having chlamydia while pregnant, but you've got time to treat it, and the fact that you're on top of the issue is a very big thing working in your (and your baby's) favor. Given all that, following up with your doctor is an important next step -- not just medically, but also psychologically and emotionally.

How soon is your next appointment?

Posts: 21 | From: New York | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UMM, while you are waiting to retest for chlamydia, you might want to ask the doc to check whether what you've got right now is a yeast infection. Not only are runaway yeasts common in pregnancy, but they are also a common side effect of antibiotics.

When I am pregnant, I am gigantically in favor of calling the doctor with every little thing. This one doesn't require a middle of the night call unless things get much worse, but a call during the day on the weekend is more than justified.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unsuitable_Mentality_Me
Neophyte
Member # 43041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unsuitable_Mentality_Me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My OB/GYN... See, I'm on state health insurance. It's a great thing, that I can get my meds and health care for free to me... but it also means that I can only go to certain doctors. And my OB, he's a great man. He's super nice, very understanding, and very easy for me to work with. But the problem is... He's extraordinarily busy. Even if I show up early for my appointments, it sometimes takes an hour to get in to see him. And even once I make it to my exam room, I usually have to wait 20 minutes before he makes it in to see me. I've tried talking to him about it... but the most I've really gotten to talk to him was when I had put in a call request due to the incompetence of his nurse. In the hospital where he works, your specific dr's nurse will be the one to call you if you have abnormal results on your pelvic exams. The first time she called me, she said it was gonorrhea. I was upset, but ok. Then my second she said, "you still have chlamydia." I pointed out that last time it was gonorrhea, and she said, "Oh, you're right. Well, this time it's chlamydia." I was devistated. It caused huge strain and ultimately ended up straining my relationship and was the beginning of the end with my bf. So I called and put in a ticket for my dr to call me directly. He clarified and said that it was chlamydia both times, and that I had tested negative for gonorrhea both times. So, on top of that, she also never called in my prescription and I had to get a different nurse from the building to do it for me.

--------------------
If Only You Knew

Unsuitable_Mentality_Me
Neophyte
Member # 43041

Next appointment is July 20th. Ultrasound, pelvic, rhogam, gestational diabetes testing, iron testing... lots and lots. 3 hours, at least, they said.

--------------------
If Only You Knew

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy heck! You're 25 weeks and they're not going to see you again until late *JULY*? That is way off the usual schedule for prenatal visits in the third trimester. Is there a reason why they've put your visits so far apart?

Eight weeks is too darn long to suffer with whatever itchiness you're dealing with. Do you want ideas on how to get *someone* to check you out? Because I've been through this and I'd be happy to brainstorm with you.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unsuitable_Mentality_Me
Neophyte
Member # 43041

Whoa, sorry. that's supposed to say June. o_O I'm completely not here... apparently, at all. >.< Sorry about that.

--------------------
If Only You Knew

Unsuitable_Mentality_Me
Neophyte
Member # 43041

To add to it: now my outer labia are starting to sting like they've been rubbed raw. =/ Though, that could be due to my excessively obsessive issue with trying to keep any "debris" out of my girl parts. It only happens when my inner labia swell up, though, so I'm not sure if it's just tp getting stuck to the moisture, or if it's like... skin or something. Though it's probably both if this raw stinging is any indication. >.<

--------------------
If Only You Knew

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Because there is extra blood flow to the area while you're pregnant, it's pretty easy for your labia to get rubbed raw at this stage. Yeast or bacterial overgrowths, or STIs, will make the issue worse.

Whatever cleaning you're doing, go very gently, use lots of water, and avoid soap.

Unsuitable_Mentality_Me
Neophyte
Member # 43041

Do baby wipes work? The ones for sensitive skin? I can't stand to leave the bathroom *dirty down under* if you know what I mean.

--------------------
If Only You Knew

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

My experience with baby wipes is that even the "sensitive skin" ones have a variety of additives (aloe, lanolin, attempts to make a baby's bottom smell like flowers), but if they're okay on a baby (as they are), they're probably okay on you. Just be aware of what's in them and if you do wind up more irritated, take a look at other kinds.

Whatever you do, don't flush them - they're hell on the plumbing.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.