Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Spotting During Ovulation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spotting During Ovulation?
Red Apricorn
Neophyte
Member # 57724

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Red Apricorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to whether this is common or not, and if ovulation is the cause of this at all.

I experienced brown discharge right in the middle of my cycle about 2 weeks ago, and I'm curious if ovulation could be the cause of it. It only lasted a couple hours at the most, and the only sexual contact I've had during this cycle was oral and manual; aside from pre-ejaculate on my/my significant other's fingers being wiped on the bedsheets, I haven't been exposed to much of a pregnancy risk, so I don't see implantation bleeding being a possible explanation...

Could a rise in hormones during ovulation cause this, maybe?

--------------------
Haithere.

Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people do experience spotting with ovulation, or do sometimes, but not always.

Implantation bleeding is uncommon, so we'd not generally suggest someone should be concerned about pregnancy. We would, however, generally check in and make sure that if someone had been sexually active in any way, that they were up to date with tests for STIs, since one of the most common infections can present spotting or other unexpected bleeding as a symptom.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Apricorn
Neophyte
Member # 57724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Apricorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I see. I've experienced this kind of spotting before, but it always confused me as far as a cause goes. Both me and my partner got tested in December and were completely clean, so unless something's happened since then, I doubt it's an STI... But I'll make an appointment to get checked again, just to make sure.

Thanks for the info [Smile]

--------------------
Haithere.

Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's only just going on May, unless you feel like it's questionable if your partner has added any partners, you can probably wait this out a little bit for another round of STI testing.

Unless it keeps happening, and not just right around ovulation, it seems pretty likely this is ovulation spotting if you were both checked that recently and are, as far as you know, exclusive.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Apricorn
Neophyte
Member # 57724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Apricorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'll hold off on the appointment, then. [Smile] Thanks so much.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.