Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Can the patch effect fertility

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can the patch effect fertility
Thehiddenone
Activist
Member # 39654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thehiddenone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya guys, been a few years since i've been on here.

Basically i was wondering if there's been any links between using the Birth Control of the patch (mines the Evra Transdermal Patch, and loss of fertility.

I was going to just search the net and i didn't want to find some really unreliable stuff so i thought i'd come back here!

I've been on it for 5 years so far and i am expecting to be on it for another 6-10 years before i'm wanting to have a baby so i wondered if there's been any studies into it or if anyone knows if it could harm my fertility.

Thank you guys [Smile]

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no data to connect long-term fertility issues to hormonal birth control methods.

It can, and often does happen, that if someone has been using one of those methods and goes off them to try and conceive that it takes them longer than it does people who were not using those methods just before trying to conceive. But that's generally only a difference of no more than six months.

However, since you're concerned about this, know it's something you can also ask your prescribing physician to talk with you about the next time they see you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thehiddenone
Activist
Member # 39654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thehiddenone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much Heather! Gosh that was a fast reply. I'm so glad that there isn't any data of long term effects, that makes me a lot more comfortable. I will check with my doctor when i go to see her just as a passing note but this helps me relax a lot for the future, thank you. [Smile]
Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. And it's one of those things that has been studies, and studied and studied, probably in part because it used to be -- and in some circles, still is -- something people said to scare women out of using contraception. [Frown]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.