Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » continued std or infection???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: continued std or infection???
sadies-momie_preemie
Neophyte
Member # 102510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadies-momie_preemie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right before Xmas I contracted gonorrhea from my now ex. The Dr gave me a shot and amoxicillin for treatment and I thought I was good. Well with in two weeks I was back in the office with a discharge and lower back pain and it hurt when I peed and the whole nine. They treated me for pelvic inflamatory disease and a yeast infection so another round of lexoquin. Then I was good for a week then I had back pain again and discharge and problems again and I treated myself for a yeast infection then went in after a week they said my urine had white blood cells in it but they can't test females urine for gonerrhea here I guess so that provided no answers. I have the mirena iud in and can not get pregnant due to heath issues so I am trying not to have then remove it if that's not the cause of my problems. The drs aren't helping me aren't giving me any answers to what's going on in my body I'm not having sex with anyone at all so I know its not a new std.
Posts: 4 | From: michigan | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were they able to talk to you or give you information about pelvic inflammatory disease? Including talking to you about PID and your IUD?

As well, it sounds like you've not been seeing the same healthcare provider for all of these things. If not, is seeing one OB/GYN possible for you, one who can look again to see what's happening here -- PID can be tough to treat, for example, and so can some of its effects -- in the big picture, thoroughly evaluate your sexual health, including testing you again for all infections, and also talk to you about when if and it's sound for you to be self-diagnosing and treating yourself, like with what you assumed was a yeast infection?

[ 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68246 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadies-momie_preemie
Neophyte
Member # 102510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadies-momie_preemie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can never get in to see my actual family Dr who so I see other drs in the office sadly. I will see her in Feb but she's just a family Dr age even sees my 2 yrs old. I only treated myself cuz I couldn't get in and I was desperate and my insurance requires permission for er visits. I am considering asking to be referred to a OB/GYN when I'm seen next just cuz its been over a month and I'm still having issues. just am frustrated one say I may ill have the std the other says let's wait and see while I'm still having Paine and issues.
Posts: 4 | From: michigan | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a PID diagnosis, your family doctor really should have referred you to an OB/GYN. If she didn't, you should be able to call in and ask her for that referral, and with it, your insurance should cover those visits just like they cover visits to her.

I'm not surprised to hear you're still having pain, since PID can cause of a host of effects as well as other health issues. I'd say getting a good evaluation around all of this by an OB/GYN is something that shouldn't wait if there's any way you can make it happen soon.

In the meantime, I'd avoid self-treating a yeast infection again, especially if it was only a week since you were first treated. It might not be, for instance, you had another one, and when you treat one you don't have, then you can wind UP with one, and get in a bigger pickle than you started with.

What I'd want to see, personally, is an OB/GYN run a full panel for you of all the STI tests, to first be sure you're clear of all of them and don't need more treatment for the gonorrhea or any other STIs, especially if your GP didn't run a full panel to check for all of them, including an HIV tests, which is always advised for patients who get PID. Then I'd want them to check in about the pain you have been having, probably by doing a bimanual exam and an abdominal ultrasound to check for impact the PID might have had on your reproductive system, which may be the cause of your pain. And all of that is what I think you should expect from any physician treating you right now, okay?

I'd not wait until you see your GP next for that referral, btw. I'd call in tomorrow and ask for it over the phone, which should not be a problem. Like I said I'd have expected her to have done that for you already.

And while you wait, are over-the-counter medications, like ibuprofen or naproxen helping at all with your pain? If not, when you call in, I'd mention that, so she might be able to prescribe something for you that does help you manage it until you can get seen.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68246 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadies-momie_preemie
Neophyte
Member # 102510

Okay thank you! Yes I will call tomorrow and ask for a referral and get the ball rolling asap this has ruined my life fearing I may still have an std or something seriously wrong plus I can take vicodin during the day so I'm limited to off the shelf pain meds till I see a Dr.
Heather
Member # 3

I understand: PID is a lot to deal with, and it really throws your health and well-being out of whack.

Let me know if you have any trouble getting that referral. If you do, I'd be happy to look into what your other OB/GYN care options in your area may be so we can be sure you get the care you need.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sadies-momie_preemie
Neophyte
Member # 102510

I saw my Dr she did an exam and she said she felt cyst on my ovary and I had a lot of symptoms to make her believe I had a cyst so I have a ultrasound tomorrow. She is retesting me for an std but just the one. If we get no answer she said she will pull my iud and send me to an OB/GYN. Still frustrated but thankful she feels its not an infection.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really glad to hear your doctor is being proactive about your care. Here's hoping you have some answers soon. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.