Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pudendal Nerve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pudendal Nerve
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As 'Pudendum' means 'shame' in Latin, I was curious if you Scarlet Warriors know of a better name? Or do sexologists prefer to use 'genital nerve'?

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also heard it called the sacral nerve, but the pudendal is technically a specific portion of it. The dorsal nerve (a branch of the pudendal) is more closely what I would call a genital nerve, as it gives the sensation in the glans of the penis or clitoris.

I think this is just one of those cases of Latin roots popping up in language with little to nothing to do with their modern-day meaning. Kind of like the word "hysterical" just to give one example of many that come to mind. It's definitely interesting to consider how words have evolved. I'd never thought of this one before :]

Note: I also just realized that "sacral nerve" comes from the Latin root sacr as in sacred. Very interesting indeed.

[ 03-09-2011, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: polyprotic ]

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard anyone who works in sexuality refer to the pudendal as the genital nerve, most likely because it's only one of many nerve endings that innervates the genitals.

That said, I hear you on the word roots, and love geeky language discussions. There are so many words -- obviously not just around sexuality and anatomy, but certainly including those areas -- where the origin of the word feels problematic. For example, the etymology of "vagina" is "sheath." But sheaths are for swords, so what...oh. Oh, bleh. Right?

On the other hand, the roots of penis actually come from the word tail.

Alas, my feeling from a science end is that it's important we use the words/terms/names we have when it comes to anatomy and sexuality, since as it is, it's all so murky and unclear for so many people.

That said, when it comes to naming your own body parts, by all means, I think everyone should use whatever creative language they feel is most true and they like, whether that's about reflecting gender identity or about just wanting all the terms for their body to be linked to positives. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awful about vaginas! I really like the word corona, so much better than hymen. Sacral Nerve is lovely. I have thought about hysteria before, being uterus (so much better than womb), but its used differently now - thank heavens!

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.