Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Lube

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lube
worriedabouteverything
Activist
Member # 49083

Icon 5 posted      Profile for worriedabouteverything     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best type of lube for sex? I used to use KY for inserting tampons, would this work? I was told that this was a cheap brand?
Posts: 52 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's really one best type of lube for sex. It'll really depend on the people involved and what they prefer. KY can definitely work for sex though. I've also heard that a lot of people like Astroglide. Some sex shops give out or sell small samples of different types of lube so you could check out a few and decide what you like best too.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedabouteverything
Activist
Member # 49083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worriedabouteverything     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So KY isn't a cheap brand?
Posts: 52 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's one of the cheaper brands, but it's still useable for sex. Personally, I've tried it and didn't like it much, but I'm sure plenty do.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriedabouteverything
Activist
Member # 49083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worriedabouteverything     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the quality of lube cause the condom to be less effective?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't ever seen any studies about that, nor that indicate that.

But the quality of lube will tend to make a difference per how it feels, how irritating it may or may not be, how good its "slip" is and how long it lasts without a need for reapplying.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that KY works well for me and my boyfriend, obviously you may not have the same experience. Durex Play also seems to be good.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.