Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Abdominal butterflies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abdominal butterflies
luanne
Activist
Member # 48638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've Googled this phenomenon and only come up with pregnancy as an explanation. I've never had any type of sexual encounter.

Sometimes when I'm daydreaming about sex, I make up a particularly appealing incident, and down in my abdomen there's a butterfly sensation. It feels just like the normal butterflies that happen higher up, except it's stronger and charges through. It always happens because of something I've thought, and doesn't happen during masturbation alone. Nonetheless, it must have something to do with arousal, and I'm curious to know whether it can be attributed to some known function of the uterus or elsewhere. Is it a common sensation?

--------------------
♥♥♥

Posts: 69 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Butterflies in the stomach is a completely normal, very common symptom of anything that evokes the "fight or flight" response. So things like nerves, fear, or absolutely sexual arousal can cause that.

I don't think there's a definitive explanation for it, but my biology teacher explained that it has to do with the production of adrenaline that's kicked into overdrive when we're in that fight-or-flight mode. Part of adrenaline's function is to slow down digestion by reducing circulation to the digestive tract and sending it to other areas of the body where it may be needed. So when you're suddenly aroused by a thought, the blood from your belly may well be flooding to the places it goes when we're aroused. That rush of blood could definitely cause that sensation of butterflies.

Hope that answers your question :]

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luanne
Activist
Member # 48638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks! I thought it might be something along those lines.

--------------------
♥♥♥

Posts: 69 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.