Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » STI Risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI Risk?
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend of over a year and I recently engaged in unprotected oral sex. Before him, I have had no other sexual partner, and neither has he. By this I mean, neither of us has engaged in any behavior past kissing with other people. His past relationship (which he doesn't call a relationship per se) was emotionally unhealthy and very short-lived, and was almost two years ago. Right now, we are in a committed, monogamous relationship (we've talked about this several times). We've been trying certain things (such as oral and manual sex) since some time ago, and recently we had a talk about how we should be little more aware or the risks involved. We think they are low, due to the fact that we've been each other's only sexual partner, but I'd like to know how much truth there is to that and maybe know some of the stats. How high or low are the risks for STI's from oral and manual sex considering the aforementioned circumstances?

[ 05-04-2010, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: I.am.a.person. ]

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you both have not had any other sexual contact, then you are right that the risk of either of you having an STI is low. However, it is not non-existent: There are STIs that can also transmitted via non-sexual ways.

On the whole, it's always a good idea to get into the habit of having regular STI screens, even if you did not think you have had a significant risk. So why not take this opportunity to start taking care of your reproductive health, and get tested?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. [Smile]

I've been thinking of visiting an OB/GYN soon for tests, but are there some other places where I both my boyfriend and I can get tested?

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to get tested together, you can look into finding a clinic in your area, such as Planned Parenthood.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Well, we once went to Planned Parenthood, but (unless I'm mistaken) they wouldn't or couldn't test us unless we had already engaged in intercourse (which we haven't). I'll go again and ask. Thanks a lot for answering so quickly. [Big Grin]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.