Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Silly question...female "morning wood"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silly question...female "morning wood"?
BriAnne86
Neophyte
Member # 48343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriAnne86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I was reminded of while reading some of the other posts on here...sort of a silly question, but can women have something similar to a male's "morning wood"?

Every so often, usually as I'm starting to wake up, but not totally awake yet (usually within 20 minutes or so of actually being totally awake), I will feel sort of, I don't know...aroused? But not in the way that I am when I'm completely awake and aware. It's almost like it feels like my vagina (the inside) is, for lack of a better word, pulsating (?)...it's a pleasurable feeling, and usually, as far as I know, it's not due to any sex dreams or the like. It only lasts a few seconds, maybe 15, and then I typically drift back to sleep or something for a few minutes before actually waking up.

So...what is it? It's definitely not something that bothers me in any way, but I was just wondering what's going on, for curiosity's sake. [Smile] Thanks

Posts: 34 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's absolutely normal for both males and females when they go through the REM phase of their sleep cycle. So that means arousal occurs approximately every 90 minutes you're asleep, or as coincides with that REM sleep. You can read an abstract from a study done on this here: http://www.springerlink.com/content/k14277002784745n/ .

It's a combination of nitric oxide production during sleep (which helps to maintain proper blood circulation throughout your body. Nitric oxide is also what allows the body's erectile tissue to engorge with blood) and simply the intellectual stimulation that occurs during REM that leads to the arousal/nocturnal erections for men. Most people don't remember their dreams anyway, so it's also possible that you had a sexually-charged dream without your knowing.

Most people wake up during, or directly following REM sleep (unless you're woken up by an alarm clock, or something like that), so that probably explains why you have the residual arousal right when you wake up. So it's absolutely, completely normal for men and women :]

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnne86
Neophyte
Member # 48343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriAnne86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, thanks! I figured that's probably what it was...now I know for sure!
Posts: 34 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.