Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Can u b pregnat w/o knwing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can u b pregnat w/o knwing?
gmcgirl13
Neophyte
Member # 43952

Icon 5 posted      Profile for gmcgirl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw a show called "I was pregant and i didnt even know it." Is that really possible? or was that show a fake?
Posts: 9 | From: Pa | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, that show is fake, and if not, just one step above. They may use the stories of real women, but they easily edit what they say to make it sound more dramatic, not to mention re-enactment scenes that don't have to pass through the person whose story it is. As well, they don't often tell the whole story: some women might well of had other medical conditions that caused similar symptoms (like fatigue and nausea), or they might have had/have a mental illness that causes undue stress and body dissociation, rendering them really unaware/ambivalent about any changes that one would usually notice.

So, yeah. Grain of salt with this one. It's not unheard of to go a few months without realizing one is pregnant, but it sure is for legions of women to not know until the baby falls out.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmcgirl13
Neophyte
Member # 43952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gmcgirl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So ur saying then that its impossible to wake up one random day and have a baby out of no where? And that i would probally know somehow 1st that i was pregnat before it happened?

[ 09-01-2009, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: gmchick13 ]

Posts: 9 | From: Pa | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it really is impossible to just wake up one day and --sploosh, my water just broke! You see pregnant ladies walking around with biiiig tummies? Yeah. Do you think they haven't noticed? Not likely!

You will notice missed periods, and fatigue and possibly nausea, way before you have a baby. And, of course, a round stomach!

It's fairly common for a woman to not know she's pregnant for a month or maybe two; but not for the entire pregnancy. So there's no need to worry [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmcgirl13
Neophyte
Member # 43952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gmcgirl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shewww good! Thanks! <3
Smellycheesebot
Neophyte
Member # 44126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smellycheesebot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it is entirely possible to be pregnant and not know it.

A relative of my grandma's was told that she could not get pregnant, so didn't worry about contraception. Then she had a baby, and didn't even know she was pregnant. She's a rather obese woman, so the added pregnancy weight and baby bump didn't show up.

I think the "not knowing I'm pregnant" thing mostly happens with women who are severely under or over weight (underweight, health problems/lifestyle that doesn't really allow for weight gain; overweight, just don't really notice). Meanwhile, most women get different pregnancy symptoms (not all get a significant baby bump while others balloon out like mad, not all women get morning sickness or cravings, etc) and some can be confused with other things (morning sickness = stomach flu/food poisoning, weight gain is from a different lifestyle choice, lack of period from stress, etc).

Some women even spot and mistake that for extremely light periods. And grocery store pregnancy tests are not 100% accurate.

It's really rare though, but it IS possible.

Posts: 27 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smellycheesebot, it isn't just really rare, it's EXTREMELY rare.

Basically, it would be very difficult to not notice that *something* wasn't right with your body, even if you had not been having periods recently. Someone would have to be very out of touch with their body and health to not notice changes that happen with pregnancy. Not having a period for more than 3 or 4 months is always something that should be checked out by a doctor, regardless of the reason.

Home pregnancy tests are actually extremely accurate. For the most part, incorrect results are do to user error, not anything wrong with the pregnancy test. If a test is taken correctly, it can be trusted.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smellycheesebot
Neophyte
Member # 44126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smellycheesebot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's extremely rare, but it IS possible.

And, like I said, it's more "common" in people who are severely over or underweight... people who have/are putting a lot of strain on their bodies, and are likely somewhat not too in touch with themselves. And probably in people who have been told they can't get pregnant and therefore are more likely to assign pregnancy "symptoms" to something else (like food poisoning, overwork, etc).

I've heard a lot of stories about them not working, but that could just be from user error.

Posts: 27 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.