Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Random Question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Random Question...
a5542
Neophyte
Member # 41369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a5542         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your view on websites such as SexualHealth.com, etc.? Can their information be trusted?

I'm just asking because I've been doing a lot of reading on the Internet about sexual health lately, and I'm curious to know how I can get an idea of which sites to trust, and which don't have their information quite right...obviously, I trust Scarleteen, but I'm curious about sites like SexualHealth.com.

Thank you!!

Posts: 25 | From: somewhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sexual health Network is run by Mitch Tepper (who I have met several times at conferences and the like, and who also was a co-plaintiff with me on the ACLU case against the COPA), who is very credible and has been working in the field for a long time, longer than many have been. By all means, that's a site you can rely on. Like any site, it may have it's biases or blindspots, but that's just how it goes.

If you go to any of the sections of the main site here (via the text menu at the top of this page), on the top lefthand sidebar, you'll find a little box for the section with three links in it, one of which is "resources." If you click that, you'll find groups of links outside the site relevant to that section. It's a good way to find sites besides this, and what we put there are sites that really get our attention, or which we think are particularly good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.