Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth control pondering/ cost question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control pondering/ cost question
Devourer
Activist
Member # 42595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devourer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the average price range for a month's worth birth control pills? Currently I have no need for it, but I see some modicum of chance that I will seek it out in the future.

There have been two episodes [only a few months] where I literally menstruated every two weeks. I respect Aunt Flo's right to exist, but I just don't want to spend half my life with her. Plus a quarter of a two week period was spent premenstrually uncomfortable.

I probably won't be messing with my period though, even if the "two week curse" of sorts returns. One week out of a month is enough quality time for me! Unless my periods become unbearable, which I doubt will probably happen based on family history, I don't feel quite right taking the pill just to augment my cycle. And I have only been menstruating for little more than a year at this point, so I still have a lot of time to even out. That may take quite a while though- I seemed to have hit puberty at the same time as most my classmates, but developed at half the speed. I got the first hair or two along with a lot of my class around the age of ten, but did not menstruate until about a half of a decade later. Go figure.

There is the small possibility that I will become sexually active in later years though, which is mainly why I'm inquiring about the accessibility of birth control. I've heard that BC is ussually no more than 50 bucks a month, but that's just what I've heard. I'm willing to cut out luxeries [Most of my spending money goes to sweets/food] to pay for BC if it's possible and the need arises. As a note, I am reluctant about ever going to planned parenthood or any organization like that for BC. I wouldn't feel right taking from an organization that provides for people who probably can't afford it normally, I spend a good twenty dollars a month just feeding my sweet tooth. And if I'm not willing to make a monetary sacrifice to be safe, would I really be ready for sexual activity? It just wouldn't be a good thing to do to parasitically feed off a charitable organization like that when I don't need to as badly, IMHO. That may be a harsh choice or words, but that is how I feel. Speaking of which, I wonder what the demographics are for planned parenthood's users. So mostly I'm just wondering what would happen if the necessity was there, and if it was and there were no funds, I supose I'd try to find some cheaper, reliable source of birth control, or just not be sexually active at all. That's probably easier said than done.

I may be putting the cart in front of the horse here- since this is just curiosity about something I don't even plan to use right now. But alas, I have to wonder what kind of a pill I would take. Granted I don't know much about BC pills at this point, but I would probably go for the cheapest one even if it caused a lot of weight gain [I know not all of the pills do that], since I wouldn't mind gaining some weight anyway...personally I feel I look almost unhealthy and frail in my thinness [I'm a meager 104 pounds on a 5' 7' frame]. That is not to say all thin people look unhealthy. Anyway, that is going off on a tangent. Perhaps some links on articles on the specifics of birth control would be helpful? Thank you for reading.

[ 05-18-2009, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Devourer ]

Posts: 42 | From: the Californian coast! | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have health insurance and that health insurance includes prescription drug benefits, you're in luck - California is one of the minority of U.S. states that requires plans that cover drugs to cover birth control. That doesn't necessarily mean that birth control would be free for you since there may well be a co-pay, but that'll probably vary a lot depending on the insurance plan.

As for a more general answer, I really don't know, but hope that someone else has a more useful answer!

Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devourer
Activist
Member # 42595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devourer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Now... the thing is I'm not insured. Darn.
Posts: 42 | From: the Californian coast! | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of hormonal birth control is going to depend based on what brand you are talking about. Brand names are more expensive than generics. The newer pills tend to be more expensive as well. There are several pharmacies that have now moved to include birth control in there generic drug programs (see this thread). This only includes certain pill formulations, but it might be an option for you if cost is an issue.

Beyond that, we don't really have articles that cover specific brands or formulations of birth control. The main reason for this is that people's bodies react very differently to the different formulations. So there's no one pill that is always causing weight gain (which is often a bit of a misnomer anyway since "weight gain" caused by birth control when it does occur, is generally caused by water retention), etc. There may be some commonalities, but overall much of it is dependent on a woman's individual body chemistry. You can, however, find out more about birth control in general via these links:
Birth Control Bingo!
Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.