Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » New Day for VIBRATORS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Day for VIBRATORS
vbcheerchk
Neophyte
Member # 39476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vbcheerchk         Edit/Delete Post 
Are Vibrators, because they are being talked about, advertised and even being discussed on Oprah's Talk Show on the importance of teens and pre teens using them, going to become more popular than they are now? I am not sure if anyone saw her show or even see the advertisements for clitoral vibrators on tv but it seems like everyone is getting one.

Was anyone able to see the Oprah Talk Show last week where they were saying we should be getting one when we turn 14. The show was encouraging our moms to talk to us about masturbating and using them and that they should be the one buying us one to help explore our sexuality.

I have one and use it regularly so I think they are an important part of my sex life and what I do alone. They just seem to help with making me orgasm and when I seem to want sex and my bf isn't around, it satisfies my urge for sex. So isn't it a good idea to get people to start using them when they begin thinking about having sex?

What are the opinions of people on what was said on her show and about using them when we are teens?

Posts: 33 | From: Here and Now | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the show, though I want to give Oprah creds for saying those things if that is what they said. I think it would be a good idea if, sometime between twelve and fourteen, teens were taken vibrator shopping (if they wanted to go) by a parent and could pick out one that they'd like (this way one avoids the possible pitfalls of either buying a phallic vibrator and making a teenager think that you want to make penises a part of their sexuality even if they don't, or of buying a clitoral stimulator and then having a teenager be frustrated when they can't use it for penetration if they want to do so), with the offer left open for at least until they move out, and ideally everyone should have somebody they can go sex toy, lube, condom and other contraceptive acquiring with if they are too shy to go alone (and somebody to come with them to the clinic if they are having an abortion or getting STI tested). There's no real reason why somebody younger than 12 shouldn't be taken vibrator shopping if they want to go, we often masturbate from birth, and have been observed doing so in the womb.

[ 04-18-2009, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melisma
Neophyte
Member # 42582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melisma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the relationship between the teen and their parents. I know I don't trust my parents or have a close relationship with them, and I never have, so I would most certainly not want them knowing how I prefer to masturbate.

I do think the social change that would have to take place for this to be normal would be a good thing, though.

Posts: 12 | From: MA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bragorien
Activist
Member # 37490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bragorien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I should try encouraging my Mother to watch Oprah. Judging by thing Oprah has been challenging some very annoying beliefs held by my Mam. Eg>
"Sex is bad bad bad, ANYTHING from making out to oral sex is a no-go. Maturbation? WHAT??!"

What she is unaware of (I hope [Big Grin] ) is taht I maturbate relatively regularily, engage in sexual activities and lost my virgiinity so ... er... sorry mam!

I don't do it because of what she says, I do it because I want to.
But I have always wanted to try a vibrator, but of course, with my family I don't think I could ever get one. :/

--------------------
"I made a resolution: Dance, like nobody's watching. Which I do... with the curtains closed - in case anybody's watching!"

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.