Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Skipping a period.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skipping a period.
So_Very_Nieve
Neophyte
Member # 37973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for So_Very_Nieve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started a new pill (Ocella; generic version of Yasmin) because I was abnormally emotional on the last two brands I was on, I'm still a little emotionally out of wack, but it's not as bad (aka I haven't kept myself up for an entire night crying, and I'm not spontaneously crying over really minor things... or nothing at all in some cases, I'm a lot more angry than usual though, but I can see ways that's more likely other factors [like not getting enough time to myself because of living in the dorms with a roommate, and not liking the majority of the people in my hall]).

Anyways, I've been regularly taking hormonal birth control for about 14 months now, and I'm due to start the placebo week of my new pill tomorrow night. But I don't want my period this week.

My doctor (who is actually a really terrible one), says it's ok to skip my period week once in a while (or even regularly). However, last time I tried it, I was spotting for a week (lightly), then essentially had my period for two weeks (that's counting the week I should have had it, and it was pretty heavy).

I'd rather have my period for two weeks again, than have it this week (between pads, tampons and granny panties, it doesn't bother me so much... even my heavier weeks are lighter than my regular period was 6 years ago... or even 2 years ago).

But, how likely is it for this much spotting the second time? Was it just my body being confused on starting a new pill (I started the new pill, I think instead of taking the placebo week of my last pack of the previous brand)? Or was it just something that usually happens the first time you skip a period?

So, if I start a new pack instead of having my period this week, should I expect a lot of spotting later this month? Or is it likely to be less since I'm going from the same brand to the same brand, and have taken the same brand consistently for two months? I don't intend to skip many periods, because I like having my period, I just want to skip them on the weeks that it's really inconvenient to have my period.

Posts: 28 | From: A building | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, it's pretty much impossible to tell what sort of response your body will have when you try to skip a period. For some women, it works just fine. For others, not so much, and, as you discovered, it can result in spotting for weeks, or even having a period at the normal time anyway. The way your body reacts is less about what type of pill you're on, and more about your individual body chemistry.

So, if you'd like, you can try going straight into your next pack of pills without waiting through the placebo week. It is completely up to you what you want to do - just be aware that you might have some spotting or bleeding, and be prepared for that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.