Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » first-time tampon use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: first-time tampon use
mouse-unmighty
Neophyte
Member # 43066

Icon 4 posted      Profile for mouse-unmighty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the gynecologist yesterday because I wanted to start using tampons for sports. I've never been able to use them before. My gynecologist checked my vagina and said that my hymen was gone. Then she put in a tampon for me. It pinched a little, but wasn't excruciatingly painful.

Five hours later I tried to take it out, but I couldn't. It felt like knives cutting at my vaginal walls. I tried everything I could think of, including using lube, soaking in a tub of hot water, waiting until it collected more blood, a standing position, a squatting position, a lying down position. Eventually my mother called the on-call doctor at the gynecologist office but she could not help us.

In the end, my mother ended up having to take it out for me by digging it out of my vagina with her fingers. By that time the tampon had been in 9 hours. It was one of the most painful things I've experienced.

Is this a normal first time use experience? My mother said she never had this problem and my friends say the pain will go away. I'm afraid to try again! What can I do differently next time, or do I just have to adjust?

It's still kind of painful down there. I'm assuming it just needs time to heal.

Thank you!
-Mouse-

Posts: 3 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
How heavy was your menstrual flow ? I ask that because when it's just very light menstrual flow, it might hurt to either put in a tampon or take it out.

Too, do you happen to be dealing with a vaginal infection right now ? Any vaginal itching, weird discharge (before your period started) ?

[ 06-26-2009, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mouse-unmighty
Neophyte
Member # 43066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse-unmighty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My menstrual flow was on the lighter side, in the last few days of my period. I'm taking Yaz.

I'm not dealing with any infections that I know of. Before my period started I had no pain or itching or discharge.

Posts: 3 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's unclear from your post, but you should be using the smallest tampon that will collect the amount of fluid that's coming out. Even experienced tampon wearers can have trouble getting some of those huge ones out from time to time (I'm at least speaking for myself). If the one you had in was not a small one, that could account for some of the difficulty.

For now, I'd say wait until your next period to try anything, given that you're still in pain. If the pain doesn't go away in another day, I'd call the doctor again.

I'd definitely say, though, that the pain you're experiencing is not normal. Some irritation and difficulty with first tampon use is normal, but what you're describing goes way beyond that. But, I'd bet that a significant part of the problem was caused by tension and stress. The longer you went not being able to get it out, the tenser you got, which would make your vagina tighten, which would make it more difficult to get it out... and you can see how that develops into a cycle. The key to removing a tampon may just be to relax and breathe. You might also want to try tampons made with unbleached cotton, because irritation from chemicals could have been making the problem worse.

Ultimately, you might to try something other than tampons. The DivaCup and other cups are a good alternative to tampons. One perk about the Diva Cup is that it's reusable, so you're not generating waste. It's also made out of silicone, which, unlike tampons made out of bleached cotton, won't irritate your body at all. You can also leave it in for 12 hours. I've used it during all sorts of physical activities--it's actually the only thing I use at all these days. There is a learning curve in terms of inserting it so that it doesn't leak, but it's definitely doable with practice (it took me two cycles to get really good at it). They don't work for everyone, but they are a really good (and eco friendly) alternative.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mouse-unmighty
Neophyte
Member # 43066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse-unmighty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did use the 'lite' size of tampons, which my gynecologist did suggest to me as a new user.

I'd be interested in using an eco-friendly alternative. When I use pads, I use the re-usable ones from Lunapads. (I love them!) However, I'm definitely not used to inserting stuff into my vagina so it could be difficult to use the DivaCup. Luckily it's summer, so I won't be pressured to use the supplies in the constraints of school.

Thank you for your suggestions and your help!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.