Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Blackout when trying to use a tampon...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackout when trying to use a tampon...
ElizaClaire
Neophyte
Member # 42273

Icon 11 posted      Profile for ElizaClaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, first off I am a 19-year-old virgin. I've tried, but have never been fully successful when trying to insert a tampon. (I get about half way up each time)

This morning was my third try. I got the tampon about half way up again, after using a mirror to make sure I had the right hole. I started pushing up harder trying to find the right angle and doing my best to relax. Then I started to feel faint, my vision was bury with like purple and red spots and my ears started to ring/buzz. I almost passed out, I don't really remember but the next thing I knew I was on the cold bathroom floor. Then I took the tampon out right away.

I called my Mother and she said maybe it was because of the pain, and I was just really really sensitive to it.

But I really don't know what to think, if I almost have a blackout when I put in a tampon, how can I ever have sex?

I'm worried there may be something wrong and I really don't know what to do.

Thanks for reading. [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd encourage you not to worry about sex with this: that's just something so different, and about so much more than your vagina or something entering your vagina. And one experience like this should not be presumed to indicate an ongoing issue.

For now, let's just deal with the tampon issue, okay?

Were you experiencing pain when you were sliding the tampon in? And you say "pushing" it in: were you forceful in doing that?

Do you feel anxious or nervous when trying to use tampons or otherwise put something into your vagina?

As well, can you slide a finger into your vagina easily, and really feel the terrain back there? Does it feel or look like anything is blocking your vaginal opening?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElizaClaire
Neophyte
Member # 42273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElizaClaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply!

When I was trying to put the tampon in it was very painful, I don't believe I was being to forceful... but I'm not exactly sure what is normal.

I did feel a bit anxious about it. I've never masturbated or tried put anything up my vagina besides a tampon.

No, I did try but it hurts even more then the tampon. As for something blocking the opening, I'm not really sure. I can see a small hole sometimes and other times I can't see any hole at all...no idea how this works, but it seems to depends on how relaxed my muscles are.

Posts: 5 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for sure, our relaxation absolutely impacts if we feel pain, feel neutral, or feel pleasure with any kind of vaginal entry or insertion of something. However, for someone who still has a good deal of their hymen, if there are no openings or only very, very small openings, relaxed or not, there will be an issue with insertion and may also be pain.

When you say you've gotten the tampon in half way, when it's to that halfway point, can you identify where the pain is? Is it at that actual point at the back of where the tampon is, or is it somewhere else or more general?

Also, when you were doing this in the past, have you been using any kind of lubricant with it?

Lastly, have you yet had any kind of GYN exam?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElizaClaire
Neophyte
Member # 42273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElizaClaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pain is at the opening and just inside the vagina.

I was told by a friend that using Vaseline to try and make it side up easier might work.
And I was using it today.

About 6 months ago I went to the hospital with pain that I thought was coming from my appendix. They did a scan and it turned out I had some ovarian cysts. I went to see the GYN afterwords and she put me on birth control pills, that might help stop the formation of new ctysts. But never examined any part of my vagina.

Heather
Member # 3

Vaseline actually is NOT a good thing to put inside the vagina as far as vaginal health goes. Instead, you want to use water-soluable lubricants.

If the pain is right around the opening, though, I'm wondering if this isn't a hymenal issue. My suggestion would be to just use pads for now, and then schedule a GYN exam soon to talk about this and have a doc look first to be sure it's not a physical issue.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ElizaClaire
Neophyte
Member # 42273

I'll try to get one soon.
Thank you very much for your help. [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.