Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Circumcision possibly a positive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Circumcision possibly a positive?
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taught the following in schools and I also found this in the "Skin Deep" section:

quote:
The American Academy of Pediatrics -- as well as other credible medical organizations -- has made clear that the routine circumcision of male infants cannot be justified on medical grounds, and most medical organizations no longer recommend circumcision at all. So, at this time, circumcision is only done because of certian cultural or religious traditions, or because a parent has or parents have a personal preference.
However, what is the general consensus on the news reporting done by the World Health Organization that stated in 2006

quote:
How could male circumcision protect against HIV?
Male circumcision is the surgical removal of all or part of the foreskin of the penis. There are several biological explanations at to why this operation may reduce the risk of HIV infection. Removal of the foreskin reduces the ability of HIV to penetrate the skin of the penis. In addition, on the underside of the foreskin are located many special immunological cells such as Langerhans cells which are prime targets for HIV. Another possible explanation is that small tears in the delicate skin of the inner surface of the foreskin during sexual intercourse could allow a portal of entry for HIV. Men with a foreskin are more prone to have some infections, including sexually transmitted infections, which can enhance HIV transmission. Male circumcision is associated with a much lower risk of penile cancer. Several studies now suggest that female partners of circumcised men have a lower risk of cancer of the cervix. Other benefits include prevention of inflammation of the glans and foreskin (balanitis) and prevention of scar tissue causing an inability to retract the foreskin (phimosis).

which can be found at the bottom of the article found at the WHO website.

Although this is an old article (2006), new articles such as this report at www.medicinenet.com that seems to be advocating circumcision not just for infants, but FOR ADULTS!!! Isn't this dangerous?

What is everyone's views on this? Is there enough scientific proof yet to validate their recommendation?

I'm a girl, but this is my shout-out to all my homeboys out there. Just looking out for the opposite sex.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the information i've come across regarding adult circumcision has to do with third world countries in places such as Africa. They don't have access to appropriate hygiene neccesities, like good clean, sterile water, and that makes it harder to keep the area under the foreskin clean. They were suggsting circumcision as this would make it easier for the men to keep their penises clean, and possibly help prevent the spreading of STIs. Condoms would help prevent the spreading of STIs as well, but a lot of these places are very traditional, and condoms don't fit into that. For a lot of African tribes, circumcision is a rite of passage for young boys entering puberty.

That would be why the AAP has stated that there is no need for it- because over here, we do have access to clean water and other things neccesary for safer sex and health. And the WHO is looking out for the world in general, large parts of which just don't have the means to keep themselves safe and healthy in the manner we do.

[ 08-15-2008, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: ASargent42 ]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.