Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » period suppresion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period suppresion
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"pills are often prescribed to “regulate” cycles, even though they technically do no such thing: they regulate the bleeding, not the cycle itself"

I'm confused.

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly, this issue is just one of language/semantics.

Combination birth control pills *change* the natural fertility cycle and create a different kind of cycle chemically; change the levels of hormones in a womens body and what happens when.

They don't, in any permanent way, change what a woman's own cycle would be without those pills.

To put it in a different framing, if I dye my hair black, it changes the color of my hair, but temporarily. It doesn't change what my natural haircolor is. Make sense?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think so... so it alters the cycle, but if someone stopped taking them it would go right back to what it was before?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not right back, for most women: there is usually a period of re-adjustment which can be as short as a few weeks to longer than a year. It also differs with different methods.

The Mirena IUD, for instance, often results in missed periods or a lack of periods, but most women's cycles bounce right back to normal when it is removed. With Depo, on the other hand, or combination BCPs, it generally takes a good deal longer (whether or not a woman was trying to suppress periods).

[ 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ventodimare
Neophyte
Member # 39513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ventodimare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gay so I want to get rid of period (that is very painful for me). I've tried the pill (and the depo every 3 months) but I don't like taking hormones for all my life and in addition some of these techniques require regular attention.

Is there something else that I can try? a small surgery? Thanks

Posts: 1 | From: ny | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.