Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » First time pill user...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time pill user...
eternal
Neophyte
Member # 39435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eternal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, i'm using Cilest, if that helps anybody.

Basically, i came on, last night, at about 7. However, i wanted to take the pill in the morning, as i assume that would work easier for me, as i could just take it as soon as i wake up.

So, i just ignored my period, and took my first pill this morning at 10.

Now, i have a slight worry that i've 'missed' a day, and therefore, don't know if i'm protected or not.

The instructions say that it's best to take it on the first day of your period. But it doesn't say whether this means within the first 24 hours, or does it mean 12 hours? If it means 12 hours, then i have missed it.

I just want to be certain, lol.

Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's really nothing wrong with taking the pill the next morning after your period began. Some women choose to start birth control within five days after their period, and by the leaflets of most pills, it will say that you are protected immediately after that first pill.

However, just for future reference, we would suggest you back up your birth control with a condom for the first cycle of pills just to play it on the safe side.

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eternal
Neophyte
Member # 39435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eternal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thank you very much! [Smile]

One more question. Is it okay to take paracetamol while on the pill?

Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paracetamol (or acetaminophen) is fine to take with the pill.

You can always check the patient information insert that came with your pill (or the patient information on the other medication) when you're worried about interactions. You can also ask at your pharmacy/chemist or call your health care provider and ask.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eternal
Neophyte
Member # 39435

Okay, thank you again! [Smile]

Another question, lol. Well, two.

Firstly, on about the second day of my period, my flow changed. It was a lot thicker than usual, and started to darken in colour. This continued, and i'm now on my 5th day. It's still happening slightly. I just want to know if this is normal, lol.

Also, can you take a pregnancy test while on the pill? Or, will it always come out positive because you're body thinks it's pregnant?

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your period/withdrawal bleed can change overtime. As long as this isn't something extreme, like extremely heavy bleeding or blood that is bright red, then I wouldn't worry about it.

As for taking a pregnancy test- yes, you can still take them and they will work correctly. One of the ways the pill works is to stop ovulation. Since you aren't ovulating anymore due to the progeterone in the pill, it's just the lack of ovulation that makes your body think it's pregnant. What pregnancy tests pick up is hCG, a human growth hormone. Since this hormone isn't one of the ones in the pill, you won't have any in your urine for the tests to pick up. Make sense? [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.