Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Why is my vagina bleeding?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is my vagina bleeding?
FadingEndlessly
Activist
Member # 18674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingEndlessly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I've had what I thought was my "period" for a week and three days now. The difference is that the blood is really liquidy and not as thick as normal period blood, and it has been going on for much longer than a regular period.

I've been on birth control for perhaps about 3 months, and I think I missed one month in the middle (the month prior to this one).

I've also been having diarrhea and stomach aches and stuff.... if that is at all relevant.

Now, here's where it may start to get complicated. I am in a foreign country, where I am studying abroad for the semester. The day that I was traveling, I completely missed one day of birth control, which was maybe a week and half before the end of the birth control cycle. Since then, because of the 6 hour time difference, I've been taking it at different times.

Here's my first question: Could the length and type of bleeding be because of the change of when I'm taking the birth control?

Secondly, I saw a doctor while I was here. Because of the language difference, it was a little hard to discuss it with her, but she did indeed tell me that the blood was coming from my vagina (so it's not a urinary tract infection, or kidney or intestinal related, etc). But that was all the information I got. She asked me if I could possibly be pregnant. The last time I had sex was in November or December, and I've gotten my period since then. We used condoms, as well.

So, is there any chance that I COULD be pregnant? If I got my period those two months, I am probably not, right? I have just been really worried because the blood seems to not be period blood, but I guess it could be???

I know that preferably I should head to the doctor (again) but I went down that route anyway, and she seems to think that I'm pregnant, or I'm overreacting, and all she spoke was Italian and broken English (and that was the provider that the Study Abroad agency suggested to us. Hmmph). If anyone could help me out, I'd reallly appreciate it!

Thanks so much@!

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mentioned that you got your period after the last time you had sex.....therefore you cant be pregnant now.

And i think youre also concerned about having this bleeding for 10 days which is different from your normal period. Im not sure about whether its related to your different timing of pills (as long as youre taking one a day at roughly the same time...it should work). But it doesnt sound too serious to me . Is it also different from the normal withdrawl bleed you have while taking birth control? And were you taking the sugar pills when you started bleeding?

For the future-
Missing one day of birth control wont make you pregnant. But missing a whole month definately could. If youre finding it hard to manage taking a pill every day without fail, maybe consider some other contraception methods.

Hope this helps! If not, see a doctor! If your bleeding goes on for days from now....see a doctor.

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you staying in Italy? If so, where? If you're anywhere near Milan or Rome, it shouldn't be too hard to find a doctor you can communicate with. Both have a couple of medical centers for english-speaking expats. If the bleeding persists and you're worried, that could be an option worth looking into.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FadingEndlessly
Activist
Member # 18674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingEndlessly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I am staying in Florence, so Rome and Milan are kind of far... And there is a very limited number of places who take my insurance, in fact, so that limits me, as well. So if anyone could suggest what this could be, I'd appreciate it so much! Thanks!
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.