Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control
crzyinfla
Activist
Member # 36837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crzyinfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive recently (3 weeks ago) started taking Loestrin24le( i think) and i was just wondering what the periods are like. I know that my doc put me on it because my periods are usuall 6-8 days long and twice a month(not good for a 16 yr old) i just didn't know how much it makes you bleed and other such nonsense...
Posts: 55 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reactions to being on the pill are highly individual. We can't say how you will react to this pill, b/c we don't know.

According to the website, the average period for women on this pill is 3 days, with a lighter flow as well. Keep in mind that this is average and may or may not be the case for you. Also, it can take a few months for your body to fully react to the pill, so you may have a few heavier cycles before it takes effect. If you're still having heavy periods or irregular bleeding after 3 cycles, you may want to go back to your doctor, as this may not be the right pill (dosage of hormones) for you.

[ 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crzyinfla
Activist
Member # 36837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crzyinfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an appointment for the week after i start taking the second cycle to make sure that none of the side effects are affecting me to badly(which they aren't) and then another a few weeks after that for my second round of the HPV shot and then another appt. 4 months after that for another shot. so its not as if I wont see my docter if something does go wrong with my pills. I just didn;t know if someone had the same issues as me and were put on the particular pill.
Posts: 55 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, good then.

Has your doctor investigated the cause of the irregular and heavy bleeding yet? If not, you need to ask about this.

[ 02-02-2008, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crzyinfla
Activist
Member # 36837

no. but my family has a history of reproductive diseases(not STDS). so of course that means i have a high risk of those also. my aunt is 28 and just had a full histirectomy(sp). i think its just family history that makes my periods like that. but im glad im on that particular pill to help with things.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a family history of reproductive problems doesn't absolve your doctor of the responsibility to investigate and treat the problem. It's a lot like having a family history of cancer, having some worrysome symptoms, and being put on a medication that masks the problem, which is essentially what the pill does by creating an artificial cycle of bleeding.

Ideally, you'll only be on the pill if you need it for birth control. Any other "benefits" of the pill are secondary, and are often much more effectively treated with other methods.

So, you'll really need to have this investigated. Even hereditary problems can be effectively treated, and it's expressly BECAUSE so many women are put on the pill/otherwise shrugged aside that their underlying, undiagnosed conditions become bad enough over the years to where measures like hysterectomy are even necessary.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crzyinfla
Activist
Member # 36837

I am on the pill for the reason it was made. So yeah. I don't know. I know that i am way to young to have to go through all of the stuff that my aunt has. I honestly dont want to know if there is anything wrong because i dont want to be put through that at 16.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.